TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As Scott points out, it is well known that the storage compartments of many RVs have the same key - or at least that there is only a small family of keys. Wayne, have you confirmed that the same is true of the entry door knob locks and dead bolts? I was not aware of that.

Bill
I have not tested it. Missed the opportunity when we had a West Coast Rally in October, with 33 TMs.

I read it around here somewhere, unless my memory is failing me.

From what I have read on other forums, it is very common for a manufacturer to have a single key that works on the entire fleet that they build.

If I was concerned, I would just re-key the locks.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
AstroBruce

I worked for a dealer that sold TMs. I don't recall that all the entry doors were keyed alike. But then, I don't remember ever checking. It would have made my life a lot easier if I only needed one key.

Come to think of it, I remember changing out a couple of door locks, and the keys were different.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #13
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

This was a concern to me since the board is public so I called Trailmanor & asked if all the locks are really keyed alike.

They said that the locks are not all keyed alike & as far as they know have never been. Now with that said I know there are only so many combinations of keys so there always is a chance of getting the same keys.

Also Trailmaonor did say the shower key is most likely keyed alike. This would also mean the outside storage compartment is keyed alike.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
meriflower

Also do a search on the word security on this forum.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=security
Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
larsdennert

Other than the like key dilema, I think the TM is no easier to break in than the average house. Shake an old window and you are in.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
jdmeenach

Default Theft

I would consider a traceable GPS unit to protect from a theft
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
PopBeavers

My TM is financed. I am quite likely a little upside down on the loan, but don't much care because we intend to keep it for a very long time. The insurance has a guarantee payoff on the loan amount.

It would be very sad for our TM to be stolen, but financially it would have very little impact.

The most valuable contents of the TM is the Travasak and my medicine cabinet.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
larsdennert

I tend to agree. That's what insurance is for. Things like AnyTrak are good for irreplaceable items. Arguably you could replace your TM with a better one. The '09s are nicer than my '03 but I wouldn't enjoy the headache of the whole thing. Having several cars stolen, I can say that sometimes you wouldn't want that car back after it's been raped. A friend has a 1930 Ford and a 1923 Hupmobile. He has tracking devices as they cannot be replaced. Certain objects are more priceless than others.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
grakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeenach View Post
I would consider a traceable GPS unit to protect from a theft
Like this? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?n7xuc-13
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
jellis

A couple of observations:

First, when our 2006 3124KB was stolen, we inadvertently kept the keys and one day locked the newer 2007 while in our backyard. When trying to unlock, we found we had kept the 06 keys on our key rings and they definitely did not work. Finally located the new set and threw the old ones out.

Secondly, don't necessarily think that because you're insured that replacement is a piece of cake, either time-wise or financially. After doing a thorough "memory inventory" following our loss, we found something over $1,200 worth of equipment, supplies and appliances was stored inside. During the following camping season, we thought of several things that we had not put on the insurance form and so were not reimbursed for. And there's also the considerable time involved in reporting to police, shopping for a replacement unit, replacing all that stuff that was stored inside, then re-doing all the modifications that made it "your" TM. After two years, I'm still not finished. And that doesn't even include the lost camping season.

I now take extra precautions against theft of the unit just because of all the lost time and aggravation it takes to get back on the road.