TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default Used TM specific prepurchase inspection areas

Hello again folks. I have found what seems to be a very nice 2008 2720SL a couple of days drive away. Interior looks very clean, no obvious signs of leakage or damage (but what can you tell from pictures!). Seller assures me that everything works perfectly, no leaks, easy to set up (springs seem to be in good order - his wife can open up and take down with no trouble). Says tires are 2 years old, but I’ll check the date code when I get there.

Swing away hitch, a/c, 2 Maxxfans, furnace, cooktop and microwave (which I might consider pulling to make additional storage (like i did with the oven in my bigfoot trailer). Also looks like the recirculating toilet has already been swapped out for a Sealand.

I’ll have him start up the fridge the night before so I can know it’s working properly, and make sure it’s dewinterized and has water in the system to check for leaks (I just turn on the pump and wait about 20-30 minutes while I check around inside. If the pump doesn’t cycle on during that time, I figure I’m safe)

I know the general problem areas to check when looking at a used trailer, and I always bring a crappy jacket, flashlight and maybe a big sheet of cardboard for sliding around underneath when I’m used car shopping. But are there any TM specific areas I should pay close attention too?

I’ve already paid a deposit (private seller) that I am prepared to eat if I get there and find it’s a dud. But didn’t want to lose it if it is as nice as it seems, at a very good price, and in Canada no less.

Thanks for the assist.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

If it were me, I would come prepared to either pull the wheels and service the wheel bearings or have an appointment at a shop to do it for me before hitting the road.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
If it were me, I would come prepared to either pull the wheels and service the wheel bearings or have an appointment at a shop to do it for me before hitting the road.
Sounds like a good idea. I’ll ask before I go when bearings and brakes were last done and if he has receipts.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You could also ask them to meet you part way. If they make it for several hours on the highway, the tires and bearings should be good enough to get you home. That wouldn't assess the brakes, but you can be assured they are not adjusted, and adjusting them just requires lifting the wheel and then adjusting them with a screwdriver. A 15-min job per wheel.

Here's a list I made up recently....there's probably more to it, but this would cover alot. Hope it helps!

Dave

BEFORE OPENING: When you arrive, be sure the owner knows you’re going to want to open the camper for a detailed inspection, both inside and out, that will involve testing everything, including every appliance.

Before you open it up:
o check the bag seal of the front shell to look for any rips/tears. If they're torn, check for rot on any wood that might be under the seals.
o Look over the roof on both shells to look for any bubbles in the sheet metal, which might indicate delamination (and a possible leak).
o Tongue jack – Make sure the tongue jack works, including via manual mode if it is an electric jack.
o Underbelly – Look underneath to make sure there is a spare tire, no obvious failure signs of the grey water tank, torsion bar damage, or damage in the floor. Also be sure the brakes are connected (2 wires should be coming out of those stupid wire nuts).
o Stabilizer jacks – Make sure there are 4 of them!

AFTER OPENING: After it is setup, time to continue looking, to include:
o Walk around – Take a slow walkaround outside with the shells up and beds/slide out, looking for anything other than minor scratches and dents.
o Range – make all the burners light, and the oven. Be sure you know how to light the oven ahead of time, as it can be a little tricky.
o Furnace – make sure the blower turns on as it should, it fires, and heat comes out.
o Refrigerator – Have them prechill it the night before. Since it will probably be empty, it should feel fairly cool, but probably not ice cold, particularly if it’s hot outside. But the inside of the freezer should feel pretty cold, certainly below freezing.
o Toilet – give the flush button a quick 1-second pulse just to make sure the motor spins up. Look for any cracks on the top of the toilet that supports the seat.
o Lights – no need to go through them all, but check a few to make sure at least a few of them work.
o Fantastic fan – Make sure it spins on all 3 speeds. The vent cover has to be open before it will turn on.
o Solar controller – if it has a solar panel, check the solar controller output monitor to make sure the panel is actually producing power if it’s decently sunny.
o Awning – have the owner run out the awning, checking for bent support arms, rips in the awning, and tears at the seams.
o Radio – make sure something comes out of the speakers.
o Curtains – make sure all the curtains that should be there are there (2 per window).
o Cabinets – Look in all the cabinets, including the ones over the front bed and especially the ones under both the bathroom and kitchen sinks, looking for evidence of any leaks (inside or outside) or other damage.
o Mattresses – Look under both mattresses for any signs of tears, mold, mildew, bugs, or rodents.
o Couches – Look under any couches to inspect underneath for the same. Inspect both cushions on each couch. If it has a pull-out couch, be sure that work and there are no missing supports (like stripped screws, etc.)

Check to be sure all necessary accessories are included:
o Awning rafter (the middle support bar)
o Awning crank
o Stabilizer jack crank
o Keys to both the doorknob and deadbolt in the front door, and both exterior storage compartments.
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I’ll ask before I go when bearings and brakes were last done and if he has receipts.
Not a good idea to rely on what a seller says. Especially about safety services. No offense to the seller but doing it yourself or having it professionally done, you have no doubts and you will not have to do it again for another year or 2. If you lose an axle spindle due to a bad bearing, that would ruin your day.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Oh I believe you. If he doesn’t have receipts I wouldn’t take his word. I’m also going to look into getting it into a shop for a going over before I take it on the road and have the brakes and bearings checked anyway.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #7
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
You could also ask them to meet you part way. If they make it for several hours on the highway, the tires and bearings should be good enough to get you home. That wouldn't assess the brakes, but you can be assured they are not adjusted, and adjusting them just requires lifting the wheel and then adjusting them with a screwdriver. A 15-min job per wheel.

Here's a list I made up recently....there's probably more to it, but this would cover alot. Hope it helps!

Dave

BEFORE OPENING: When you arrive, be sure the owner knows you’re going to want to open the camper for a detailed inspection, both inside and out, that will involve testing everything, including every appliance.

Before you open it up:
o check the bag seal of the front shell to look for any rips/tears. If they're torn, check for rot on any wood that might be under the seals.
o Look over the roof on both shells to look for any bubbles in the sheet metal, which might indicate delamination (and a possible leak).
o Tongue jack – Make sure the tongue jack works, including via manual mode if it is an electric jack.
o Underbelly – Look underneath to make sure there is a spare tire, no obvious failure signs of the grey water tank, torsion bar damage, or damage in the floor. Also be sure the brakes are connected (2 wires should be coming out of those stupid wire nuts).
o Stabilizer jacks – Make sure there are 4 of them!

AFTER OPENING: After it is setup, time to continue looking, to include:
o Walk around – Take a slow walkaround outside with the shells up and beds/slide out, looking for anything other than minor scratches and dents.
o Range – make all the burners light, and the oven. Be sure you know how to light the oven ahead of time, as it can be a little tricky.
o Furnace – make sure the blower turns on as it should, it fires, and heat comes out.
o Refrigerator – Have them prechill it the night before. Since it will probably be empty, it should feel fairly cool, but probably not ice cold, particularly if it’s hot outside. But the inside of the freezer should feel pretty cold, certainly below freezing.
o Toilet – give the flush button a quick 1-second pulse just to make sure the motor spins up. Look for any cracks on the top of the toilet that supports the seat.
o Lights – no need to go through them all, but check a few to make sure at least a few of them work.
o Fantastic fan – Make sure it spins on all 3 speeds. The vent cover has to be open before it will turn on.
o Solar controller – if it has a solar panel, check the solar controller output monitor to make sure the panel is actually producing power if it’s decently sunny.
o Awning – have the owner run out the awning, checking for bent support arms, rips in the awning, and tears at the seams.
o Radio – make sure something comes out of the speakers.
o Curtains – make sure all the curtains that should be there are there (2 per window).
o Cabinets – Look in all the cabinets, including the ones over the front bed and especially the ones under both the bathroom and kitchen sinks, looking for evidence of any leaks (inside or outside) or other damage.
o Mattresses – Look under both mattresses for any signs of tears, mold, mildew, bugs, or rodents.
o Couches – Look under any couches to inspect underneath for the same. Inspect both cushions on each couch. If it has a pull-out couch, be sure that work and there are no missing supports (like stripped screws, etc.)

Check to be sure all necessary accessories are included:
o Awning rafter (the middle support bar)
o Awning crank
o Stabilizer jack crank
o Keys to both the doorknob and deadbolt in the front door, and both exterior storage compartments.
Thanks Dave. Nice comprehensive list!