TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
bigjoe

Default Confused

Well I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 TM Mini 19RD or a 2014 Coachmen RV clipper ultra-lite 17 FQ TT.

They are pretty close to GVW and the cost is pretty close..

So just the wife and I and maybe the grandchild...

Hard choices maybe some input might help.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuyork View Post
Well I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 TM Mini 19RD or a 2014 Coachmen RV clipper ultra-lite 17 FQ TT.

They are pretty close to GVW and the cost is pretty close..

So just the wife and I and maybe the grandchild...

Hard choices maybe some input might help.
I looked at the floorplans and there is no way that I would get the TM model you are looking at. That Coleman is pretty nice but have you seen it in person yet? Sometimes these things are much smaller in person than it looks like on a floorplan.

Depends if you want to store it in your garage. Personally I would keep looking for a 2720 model.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
bigjoe

Yes- Seen the Coachmen RV clipper ultra-lite 17 FQ TT in person and its pretty nice.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It depends on what you want. Both of these trailers are designed mainly for living outdoors with cooking, sanitary, and sleeping facilities on the inside.

Being a Floridian, there are times (such as when rainy or just too hot to be outside) when I want to be able to do leisure time activities indoors and that requires something a bit larger.

Given that I also like the transformer nature of the TM (easy towing means not only light but also low). OTOH some might not like the bed being 42" off the ground (I use a 2 step stool).

It is really best to decide what you want in a trailer, what would be nice and then look for what matchs. Given that you may want to travel with a grandchild, a bit more space may be appropriate.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

One of the things that jump out to me when determining a hard sided folding TM and a conventional camper is access to storage items, bathroom use while towing. Your not necessarily going to pop up the TM to use for a quick picnic or rest stop use. Your towing the camper to the days destination without much access to the interior. It's not for everyone.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

nuyork

What will you be towing it with?

It all depends what fits you best. For us we have had TT's and fold downs.

Over all we like the fold down better. With storage in the garage and better MGP when traveling being the primary factors. A secondary factor with the fold down is it stays a lot cleaner stored in the garage.

Only thing we miss with the TT was being able to stop anywhere and use the toilet, stop and make lunch or a quick cat nap in a rest area. It was a lot nicer when we have 4 kid going camping. Now just the two of us it does not seem as such a big deal.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Wouldn't work for us, no room for the recliner.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
nuyork

What will you be towing it with?

It all depends what fits you best. For us we have had TT's and fold downs.

Over all we like the fold down better. With storage in the garage and better MGP when traveling being the primary factors. A secondary factor with the fold down is it stays a lot cleaner stored in the garage.

Only thing we miss with the TT was being able to stop anywhere and use the toilet, stop and make lunch or a quick cat nap in a rest area. It was a lot nicer when we have 4 kid going camping. Now just the two of us it does not seem as such a big deal.
Thanks everyone for your response. I will be pulling with a 2007 Kia Sorrento LX 4x4, 5,000 lbs tow
Old 05-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Whet works for me is to put together a list of musts and wants: things my target - be it a car or trailer or computer must do/have. And what I want it to have. Be blue sky with this.

Then once you have that list (and make sure it is complete) you can compare potential solutions. Miss one "must" or three "wants" is grounds for elimination.

Once there are candidates find out everything possible about each. I consider on-line service manuals and an active forum of owners a big plus.

When dealing with something not known well, I generally find a good used one first to find out if it lives up to its billing. Exceptions are made occasionally when everything is right and a good deal is available when needed but in general prefer top-of-the-line models that are a few years old so about 5-10 years old and 1/5-1/7 of the new price with about half again to make it what I think it should be.

At this point I am not feeling that you really know what you want so a list is good but don't settle for anything unless it is right in every respect. It has taken me up to a year to find what is wanted but generally it only takes a few months.

Does sound like your tow car should be able to handle anything up to a 2922 but the 2720 is the most common. Mine is an SL(QS) and is slowly getting the way it must be.

Just completed the biggest hurdle: air conditioning when dry camping. It can be done.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Whet works for me is to put together a list of musts and wants: things my target - be it a car or trailer or computer must do/have. And what I want it to have. Be blue sky with this.

Then once you have that list (and make sure it is complete) you can compare potential solutions. Miss one "must" or three "wants" is grounds for elimination.

Once there are candidates find out everything possible about each. I consider on-line service manuals and an active forum of owners a big plus.

When dealing with something not known well, I generally find a good used one first to find out if it lives up to its billing. Exceptions are made occasionally when everything is right and a good deal is available when needed but in general prefer top-of-the-line models that are a few years old so about 5-10 years old and 1/5-1/7 of the new price with about half again to make it what I think it should be.

At this point I am not feeling that you really know what you want so a list is good but don't settle for anything unless it is right in every respect. It has taken me up to a year to find what is wanted but generally it only takes a few months.

Does sound like your tow car should be able to handle anything up to a 2922 but the 2720 is the most common. Mine is an SL(QS) and is slowly getting the way it must be.

Just completed the biggest hurdle: air conditioning when dry camping. It can be done.
Thanks Padgett-