TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
moaboy

Do your homework then jump in. For some that may be a month or two. For others it may be a year or two. I had been watching TM's for a couple of years and in late 2009 when they came out with the new line/upgrades I said it was time even though I was not retired. Very glad I did. ☺️

Now when I hit the road next year I will have more experience under my belt.
Seems like a lot of people buy pop ups that then sit in their garage or storage. That does not seem to be the case with typical TM owners, but I am basing that on what I read on this forum which may be the more "activist" TM owners.

If u can afford it-go for it if you think you will use it to live life larger and create memories and new adventures.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
bigjoe

Thanks everyone for your input... Its going to take around 6 months but this is the review stage.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Just keep in mind that, if you are planning to purchase a used unit, 6 months from now will be prime selling season. Expect to pay more for a unit in the spring, when sellers may be hoping to get a premium, due to the upcoming camping season. Fall would be good, as people don't want to pay to store it until spring, possibly.

Just a thought.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
bigjoe

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Unless in the Souf. I found mine in the spring on CraigsList & bought from a dealer who took in on trade and did not really want it. I generally buy things from individuals but must be careful of exactly what it is because condition is the most important element. Beyond that study up on the different models and years and when changes took place. Probably the most important was the move sometime around 2002-2003 from a wood frame to the current aluminum sandwich.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It is never to early to get out camping. Go for it! We are going to retire in about 5 years, but for many years have gotten out for 20 to 30 nights a year. It does seen as the years have passed we are out camping more, but slowing down on the length of the trails we hike.

We had several different TT and pop-ups. Right now, we very much think the TM is perfect for us. If offers a TT environment when setup, storage in the garage, simple to set up and take down and the cost to pull it is very low compared to a TT or MH. We end up getting between 17 to 20 mpg with the TM, unlike the TT's that we need a special TV and got 8.5 to 9.5 MPH.

We never had a motor home, but my friends that have them, seem reluctant to take them for any distance because of the 4.5 to 6.0 mpg and don't seem to get out as much once they got a MH and complain about having to bring a car under tow, or using the MH to run around site seeing once they arrive at a camp ground ?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
bigjoe

So what year should I be looking at for used TM ?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #18
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I would think much would depend on how well the unit has been maintained.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #19
Padgett
TrailManor Master

What I would look for is not so much a particular year as the "less wood" design (2003 up & some 2002) and 15 inch tires/wheels with no sign of rubbing. Beyond that it is up to you what options and size you want they did not change much until the recent availability of solar panels & choice of toilets.

Beyond that "condition is everything". Must admit I bought mine more because is was young enough, local, and could negotiate a resonable price, think I'd prefer a king bed and casette toilet in the next one.

Had an RV for years just a 21 ft class A that got 25-30 mpg but there was always the issue of maintenance of a complex vehicle, stale fuel, and how do you get around when you get there ? TM also has more room.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #20
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuyork View Post
So what year should I be looking at for used TM ?
As others have said "It depends on condition". You can find units that were built in the 90's that still have a lot of good years left in them, but you will also find units that are less than five years old that have been treated badly and need a lot of maintenance to get them camp ready.

My suggestion is, figure out a budget and model, then arm yourself with the knowledge the folks on this forum have, about what to look for when shopping for a TM. That's what I did a couple of years ago and found the right unit at the right price.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote