TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Would you let a serious buyer test drive your trailer?
NO WAY!!! 13 34.21%
Probably not 15 39.47%
Maybe (unless they seemed shady) 3 7.89%
Probably (unless they seemed shady) 3 7.89%
ABSOLUTELY!!! (unless they seemed shady) 2 5.26%
With a deposit and copy of their drivers license (unless they seemed shady) 2 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
bayvillage

Wow -- this forum is terrific!!! Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback.

I totally understand the concerns of sellers, but decided to ask rather than assume it wasn't done.

We do have a 7-pin connector and brake controller, are mechanically inclined and accident free. As s/w engineers we're probably over thinking the whole challenge-of-towing angle. Just don't want to plunk down a big pile of cash for something if it's possible we won't be comfortable towing it. Too bad we're not closer to AZ! That is a generous offer Bill.

We did try to find a trailer to rent, but can only find a full-height trailer in N. Ohio. If we find towing one of those challenging it won't help us decide about a TrailManor, and we're pretty set on a 2720SL.

It hadn't occurred to us to rent a U-haul/utility trailer. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Now we know to do our test driving before viewing a private-seller trailer, and have a way to practice towing (and backing up) before we buy.

Thanks again for the quick feedback and ideas!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

The dealer I bought from took me out and around town towing my trailer untill he thought I felt comfortable. Of course that was my own trailer that I had bought, then we had to drive home which is a three hour drive. Did not have any trouble towing, even crossed the one way two lane bridge of course I tie up traffic as I road the middle, the rest of the trip home was fine. Backing is not a one shot deal, it takes time and every campground is different one way or another.

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
FujiPedaler

A dealer in Minnesota did let us test drive before buying, but he went with us and I would do the same. We did have to have a break controller installed before we could test drive.

It was really an eye opener for us as to how easy it drives and helped convince my wife that I wasn't totally crazy.

I would encourage each owner to consider a test drive with you because it really helps.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I live about an hour and a half from you, I'd help you but I'd ride along and maybe even discuss trailering in general. Mine is not for sale but a short trip on highway and town won't hurt my unit and might help you make the right decision. You would need your insurance and license and be equipped with a tow vehicle capable. From what I've read that wouldn't be an issue. Weekdays only as I camp most week ends!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
bayvillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiPedaler View Post
It was really an eye opener for us as to how easy it drives
That's encouraging :-)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
bayvillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailManorMan View Post
I live about an hour and a half from you, I'd help you but I'd ride along and maybe even discuss trailering in general. Mine is not for sale but a short trip on highway and town won't hurt my unit and might help you make the right decision. You would need your insurance and license and be equipped with a tow vehicle capable. Weekdays only as I camp most week ends!
Wow, that would be wonderful. You've got the same length we're looking for so there couldn't be a better test. It would be great to have you ride with us to answer any Qs that might arise as we're driving. And since you're not trying to sell us anything we'd get great information.

I've attached pics of the back of our '05 Tahoe to be sure we're compatible with your TM. Do you know what type of ball we need to get?

We can scan and email you copies of our drivers licenses and insurance card in advance if you'd like. Weekdays are fine for us this week and next. (The sooner the better as we'd love to buy a TM before the end of next week when our vacation ends and time becomes more scarce.)

Not sure how to proceed. Perhaps emailing us at ags at sonic dot net?

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tahoe1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	10457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tahoe2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	10458  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

If this isn’t proof positive how great this site and its members are I don’t know what it.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

+1 on that
a tip of the hat to you tm man

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #19
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Bay village I sent you a personal message, respond if you wish

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Ill have a drawbar/ball so you need nothing for now.

Tags
difficulty of towing, test drive