TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
davidvscott

Default Some Questions

I have read most of the posts and I am leaning toward the TM. I had previously owned a 34 ft. Airstream and it was just too big. I have a 3/4 ton Ram diesel so pulling it was not an issue, but it just wasn't practical. There were places where it simply didn't fit. I also did not like loosing 10 to 12 mpg when pulling it. My wife saw a TM, looked it up on the internet and we both liked what we saw.

I have read about the good and bad aspects of the trailer posted. The big difference now is that, assuming this trailer comes close to its claimed 1 mpg increase when towing, we would be using the trailer a lot more than we did the Airstream. I do not expect for a TM to be like an Airstream. The Airstream is a hell of a RV trailer, it is also damned expensive - even used.

Here are the conclusions I have come to and I would appreciate comments:

1. I want a larger version as we want to have the ability to take another couple with us.

2. It is easy to tow.

3. It seems that the best thing to do is to buy a new trailer and spec it out - even though it appears that the TM does not hold its value as well as the Airstream.

4. I want to make sure that I get the heavy axel and suspension system as well as the electric jack. I assume the TM does not come with electric levelers. (that is not a big deal - Airstream had them and they worked half the time - a friend suggested that I get a cordless impact wrench)

5. I am going to have to figure out a way to avoid the odor, besides not pooping in the potty.

And lastly three questions. How long is the longest anyone as kept the same TM? Is there optional equipment that is a must? Could two kayak be carried on top of the TM when in trail mode?

Dave Scott

Sunny Side of Louisville (Indiana side of the Ohio)
Old 02-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I had a 31 foot airstream. It seemed to me the deprecation was stiff on a new one. About 50% in the first 5 years. Maybe times have changed.

I would not think you would get and increase, but with that large TV, I would expect maybe a 2 mpg hit. We tow with a V6 and being a small engine we take a larger hit around 4 mpg.

Our TM tows good. Tracks well, never has swayed. It's like when I went from a 27 ft leaf spring TT to the 31' AS. You know it back there because of the weight, but it stays where it should be.

Axles, I don't think the axles are and issue. The older models they ran axles that were near max GW, but somewhere around 2010 I think they changed to stronger axles.

Yes get the electric jack with the camper or after you get it.

stabilizers: Most owners just use an 18v cordless drill and put about a 1/4 allan wrench in the chuck. Works great. One of our trip we had it up and down 8 times and never needed a re-charge. Another trip I need a drill and it was handy having the cordless drill.

Toilet: we don't notice with the re-circulation toilet any more smell then we had in any other camper. But many people have been getting the Cassette toilet. Which we did have in a popup and we thought it was the best toilet we ever had in any camper, because of the ease of dumping. So if you order a TM look at the cassette.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

1) A tandem axle 3326 King could work if the other couple is under 6' (front bed might be able to be extended). I suspect it would need to be specially built since not in the current catalog see here.. Interior space woud be similar to a 34' airstream
2) I use a plain cordless 1/2" drill for my levelers and the awning.
3) Rack for kayaks would be possible on the front module but should be removed before raising. May also require retuning of the torsion bars. (No big)
4) Major options are combination microwave instead of oven, roof A/C (haven't seen one without) though the electric heater is an option, swing hitch, and various hanging cabinets. On a new one there are also some paint and trim options.
4) I always find a nice used one of almost anything to begin with and find out what I really want.
5) Several have exchanged the recirculating toilet for a cassette model that uses the same dump lines. It is said that with proper additives, odor is not an issue.

Major advantage to the folding TM is the dramatically reduced frontal area when towing at Interstate speeds. There is little increased aerodynamic drag and most loading is the result of the additional mass.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I've owed a 3124KB (King Bed) for a few years and had a tandem axle 3325 back in the late 90's. The KB models are spacious and with the front bed can accommodate another couple. With privacy curtains on both ends, you can literally be 30ft apart. Camping is a mostly outdoor activity, so 2 couples hold up inside most 30ft campers will probably feel cramped by the end of the day. I've only experienced odor issues on hot summer days. Limit the solid use and use a good chemical product and you should be ok for a few days. We prefer full hook ups when we camp so I can dump and recharge everyday if necessary.

I've also wondered about loading Kayaks. Not tried it yet, maybe this spring and summer. Since you would load the kayaks after closing down the roofs, and remove them before opening, not sure why the torsion bars would need to be retuned as mentioned.

Your TV should pull very well with the TM. The 1 mile per gallon decrease reference is not typical. Without towing, I'm at 18mpg. Towing, I'm at 14.5 to 15. So, the best I can figure with easy towing would be 3mpg difference. Certainly much better than the 8-10 decrease or more for a conventional upright travel trailer.

The AS is a heavy beast of a trailer and darn well worth the money they sell for. TM is not a heavy beast and is not expected to be one either. Almost apples to oranges comparable. Lightweight, no sway, ease to maintain, unconventional popup. Not a unit that will allow for use while stopped for a quick bathroom use or quick picnic as an upright TT will offer. Has limitations and is a crowd pleaser when setup. If all you've seen is reading and viewing material on the TM, I recommend you visit one in person and examine how it opens, closes, stores, bath size, storage space, ins and outs.

Good luck,

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
1) A tandem axle 3326 King could work if the other couple is under 6' (front bed might be able to be extended). I suspect it would need to be specially built since not in the current catalog see here.. Interior space woud be similar to a 34' airstream
2) I use a plain cordless 1/2" drill for my levelers and the awning.
3) Rack for kayaks would be possible on the front module but should be removed before raising. May also require retuning of the torsion bars. (No big)
4) Major options are combination microwave instead of oven, roof A/C (haven't seen one without) though the electric heater is an option, swing hitch, and various hanging cabinets. On a new one there are also some paint and trim options.
4) I always find a nice used one of almost anything to begin with and find out what I really want.
5) Several have exchanged the recirculating toilet for a cassette model that uses the same dump lines. It is said that with proper additives, odor is not an issue.

Major advantage to the folding TM is the dramatically reduced frontal area when towing at Interstate speeds. There is little increased aerodynamic drag and most loading is the result of the additional mass.
I beg to differ with some of these suggestions, having owned both a 3124KB and a 3326.

No TM will have the interior space of an equivalent Airstream. They just aren't built the same way. Also, the front bed, which opens from the sofa, is barely larger than a twin. Your friends had best be very friendly to share that space.

Kayak racks would have to be carefully placed, since there are no steel frames in the roof like one would find with conventional trailers. The load, though perhaps not excessive, would have to be distributed over a large area to prevent buckling of the shell.

I would never suggest a swing hitch for larger TMs. The swing assembly is not robust enough for the heavier tongue weights.

I have never used a cassette toilet, but I didn't think they use the black water piping in the trailer. The cassette has to be removed, typically through an outside door on the side, to dump the waste. I took out the recirc toilet and installed a Porta Potti. We never found the right chemicals to stop the smell. If I am incorrect on the cassette design, someone will let us both know.

I agree that a good 18 volt drill is an easy way to manipulate the corner jacks on any TM. I have always installed bubble levels on my trailers once I knew they were level front to back and side to side, using the trailer floor inside. After that, leveling is easy.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I have a new 2015 3124KD. Based on your desire to take another couple, you might want to look at another floor model than mine, like the 3124KB, as the dinette and sofa models would at best mimic a full size bed when the sofa is opened or the dinette is converted to a bed. Others may have different opinions on this suggestion though.

I added three upgrades that are not on their standard list: Upgraded to reversible exhaust fans and added a second one over the king bed; I went with a compressor refrigerator (does not run off of propane) that the factory appears comfortable adding in other builds. Compressor models get much colder when it is hot outside than the standard three-way you can get. Finally, I upgraded the wire gauge from the battery to the converter to 8 gauge. On their standard list, I went with the cassette toilet. My main upgrade will be an instant hot water heater discussed in other threads, most likely the Truma AquaGo

Good news if that floor plan works for you is that it is less expensive.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I bought my trailer from BuddyGregg RV in Knoxville. They have the model that might suit you listed out on RVTrader. They are very willing to negotiate pricing.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015...24KB-112836961
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
FujiPedaler

We have a 2007 3326 king and bought it 3rd hand in 2011. We waited for a year till one came up on the for sale lists on this site.

We have a Toyota 4 Runner V8 that delivers between 12 and 14 mpg depending on the winds.

Regarding your kayaks, we found that Thule makes a "Haul-a-vator" system that allows you to load your boats at waist height and then with gas assist raises it to the top of your vehicle.
It works great on the roof of our 4 Runner and I would recommend that you mount yours on your truck as well and not the roof of the Trailmanor.

"Happy Camper" is a really well liked and recommended additive and comes in powder form and very economical. We bought our first supply from Amazon.com.

The 3326 King is not in the catalog but can be special ordered and this comes from the factory when we had ours in for a tune up.

Good luck. N.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Probably did not explain fully. If you add roof racks to the front module to carry your kayaks, the weight of the of the permanent racks and supports might be enough to require a retune of the torsion bars.

Is that better ?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
DoubleT

Thumbs up

We are on our second TM first was a 2008 2619. Really a great unit. We wanted a little bigger foot print inside, so we purchased a 2014 2720 front slide with the couch vs the queen bed up front. Ours is Silver Trail in fact one the first off the line. Ours is the one seen in the TM ad being towed by a silver Nissin SUV. I tow with a 2012 Toyota Double Cab with 4.6 V8 with tow Package. I can still get 16-17 mpg if I drive it like you should. I sold my 2619 3 weeks ago and the owner had a nice Dodge Diesel and he said he could not feel it going Home! He was used to towing a Silver Streak so big difference.

As far as the Kayak have you thought about a rack that mounts over he bed of the truck? I would be concerned about the weight on the shell and the torsion bar.

Smells in the toilet We found on the internet a product called Happy Camper. Its a granular product that you add as you charge the toilet. Works great only take a small amount. We have tested it in the Hot summers in Texas and across the south. NO ODORS!

If your are looking to have space for friends I would recommend a model with to full size beds. Don't know how comfortable the dinette conversion is.

Don't know how far you want to travel for a new model but the best price I found anywhere is Go Play RV in Flint Texas(just south of Tyler) No one could come close to the deal I got there.

Good Luck on your search and keep us posted on the Hunt!
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote