TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
tlindstrand

Default Maiden Voyage-now questions?

So we took out our new TM out this weekend, to set it up and figure it out. First off I have to say man was I mad setting it up, I had no power and couldn't figure out why. Found out you need to have bathroom walls up, what a relieve it was after that. So I have a few questions, we had 30Amp hookups.

When I light the water heater and its lit, do I leave the red switch for water heater on all the time?

If we have hook up, should I use electric vs propane? I saw the cotter pin and the switch outside and left it off, just used propane? But should I switch it to electric, whats the advantage?

And last thing we did was dump station, did everything right pulled the lever under toilet so I didn't have to pop it up. So maybe I'm dumb but I have all the hoses and gloves etc etc in bumber. You can't open the bumper when its closed, can you? I ended up having to open it.
tlindstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindstrand View Post
So we took out our new TM out this weekend, to set it up and figure it out. First off I have to say man was I mad setting it up, I had no power and couldn't figure out why. Found out you need to have bathroom walls up, what a relieve it was after that. So I have a few questions, we had 30Amp hookups.

When I light the water heater and its lit, do I leave the red switch for water heater on all the time?

If we have hook up, should I use electric vs propane? I saw the cotter pin and the switch outside and left it off, just used propane? But should I switch it to electric, whats the advantage?

And last thing we did was dump station, did everything right pulled the lever under toilet so I didn't have to pop it up. So maybe I'm dumb but I have all the hoses and gloves etc etc in bumber. You can't open the bumper when its closed, can you? I ended up having to open it.

Yes, leave the WH switch in the ON position when using it in the propane mode. Some here use both electric and propane modes at the same time to recover hot water more quickly. Remember, it's a 6 gal tank. When I have electric connections, I use the electric mode. Since I'm paying for it, might as well use it. Save the propane for other uses. I have an earlier model that has access to the bumper for my dump hose. What not aware on newer models there was no access.

Congrats on your maiden trip. After many years and 2 different TM's, I still learn something new on how to store, tow, camp, and enjoy the TM.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

hi yas
yea that switch is to shut power to back shell so the lights to not come on when down , can make a bad burn spot in bed if light comes on , or worse.
now the hot water heater, I always run on propane , but we do a lot of outing's without hookups , and I just turn it on a few minutes before I need, no need for it to run all night or when out during the day. it heats up fast.
my hose wont fit in my bumper, been meaning to do hose mod. just not got around to it, so I carry in a vinyl bag tossed in back of truck.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good advice above. Let me expand a bit.

As you know, the water heater's inside switch controls the gas heating element. It has no effect on the electric heating element. When you first turn the inside switch on, the red light beside it lights up. This red light indicates "Trying to Light". When the gas burner has properly lit, the red light goes off. At that point, leave the switch on if you want to use gas to heat the water.

I am sure you have read enough to know that you must never turn on either heating element when the water heater is empty - that is, when it is not filled with water.

You can heat water with electric or propane or both - your choice.

As for the dump station question. You didn't tell us what year/model TM you have. Why don't you add it to your signature line? I can tell you that I had a 2002 TM, with the diamond-plate steel cover over the back bumper compartment. Now I have a 2006 TM, with the gray plastic cover over the bumper compartment. Both of these covers are removable without opening the TM. You may have to release the two rear corner latches to ease the pressure on the cover, but then the cover will slide off and give access to the sewer hose compartment.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=15809
I think it is post #9 , it will show shat happens idf light comes on

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
tlindstrand

Thanks for the advice, this forum is great place to get advice. Ill be signing up once my trial expires. I have a 2008 2720SL, will make a cool signature soon when I get some good pics camping too.
tlindstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
TravlinOn

It's true that by undoing the rear=end latches, you will have it easier to access the bumper storage, but you will also need to make sure that your torsion bars are adjusted to lift the rear shell off the bumper.

You might want to put a sewage drain pipe mod on your list. I recently did the drain pipe mod variation that uses zip ties to hold a pvc fence post to the TM frame. Simple and quick. Used it on my last trip and wished I had done the mod sooner. Do a search for mod ideas.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
nylesn

Default Sewer Hose

I us a self-storing sewer hose available from Camco. It stores in brackets mounted to the bed side of my F150.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
moaboy

I've learned that usually if my TM won't close properly there is a good reason-I just have to find it. So I do not " force" it. The only exception is when I know I have too much bedding and I really have to build up some "momentum" or as Padgett suggests "in stages" to get the closure to catch properly. But this is due to the bedding hitting the ceiling, so it is understandable.