TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Default Resale value

I just did an extensive search on Craigslist nationwide on what used ones sell for. Also looked at NADA as well. Not sure I agree with the generally held consensus that they retain their value well. Any thoughts?
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Randm2005

I think it has more to do with supply and demand. New TM are expensive and if you want to save money you by on open market at the offered price. People who buy TMs are looking for a specific product that very few trailers meet whin is a hard sided popup. People who want popup because it's cheap are probably not going to pay TM prices.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Sterman
Site Sponsor

Although the resale value for used TMs may be a little better than others, you still take a huge hit if you buy new and sell in a year or two.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

...and that isn't any different than any other rv, car, truck or boat. If you buy new you probably should hang on to it for a few years.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I think you are all correct. I was just hoping it might be better based on the comments that it has one of the highest resale values. Now I need to get my price!!
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I purchased one of the first 2417 Sports built, in Jan. 2012. I sold it in Jan. 2014, for $3,000 less than I paid (but, I put a solar panel on it). To me, that was very good resale value.

But, mine was the only used 2417 Sport on the market across the USA. I had the optimum selling situation. Also, I am in Colorado, which has a good TM market.

If you keep it in very good condition, and there are no others for sale in your area that are comparable, you could get a better price. It all depends on numerous conditions. List it for what you think is fair, and be ready to justify it to any lookers. If I were looking for a new unit, but I could save $5,000 by purchasing a pristine used unit, with everything I wanted, I would likely go used. It just takes one buyer.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

To some extent, resale value depends on the options you chose when you bought the trailer. If you choose a limited set of options that meet your particular needs, but miss the needs of a lot of users, you have to expect fewer interested parties, and therefore a lower price.

I'm under the impression that most users expect to see:
Air conditioner
Awning
TV antenna
Stove/oven
and to some extent, a swing tongue

You might be willing to pay a lot for a rear hitch, alloy wheels, special graphics, a satellite dish, an outside gas connection for your grill, or an oversized fresh water tank - but I'm not sure you would recoup your investment.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote