TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Crusty

Default Looking @ 3124ks

My wife and I have been researching the internet for a TM and have settled on the 3124ks. (not yet purchased) We are new to the Camping World and looking for seasoned veteran's advice on TM and especially the 3126 ks. We will be towing the TM with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost super cab, short bed.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
davlin
TrailManor Master

Crusty,

We have a 2007 3124KS, which we tow with a 2004 F150 5.4L. Your ecoboost should have no problems, provided it is equipped with the "tow package" that includes the auxiliary transmission cooler. You will also need a brake controller, if your Ford isn't factory-equipped.

The 3124, in a loaded and ready to tow configuration will have a tongue weight of about 600 lbs. My factory provided hitch is rated at 500 lbs "non-wdh" tongue weight capacity, so I use a weight distributing hitch (WDH). Check your hitch specs carefully.

You've found the perfect place to get your questions answered about Trailmanors.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Jim & Diane and welcome to the forum.

I tow my 2720 with a F150 ecoboost and you will not have any trouble towing anywhere you want to go, even with a 3124ks. I recently took mine to the Eastern Sierras and could have gone 75 MPH over the steepest grade if I would've wanted to.

Good Luck with your search and ask all the questions you have. You will find the answers here.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Most people come here asking if they can tow with a Mini Cooper or a garden tractor.

I have a 3124KS. Fully loaded for camping it tips the scales at 4500 lbs. Don't know the Ford's numbers but I would think you are well within your limits. Just looking at a few Ford specs I see numbers quite a bit higher than 4500 lbs.

I tow with a 2005 Tundra Double Cab, I am more than 2000 lbs below my towing liimit. The rig is very stable and controllable under all conditions that I have encountered. I do a lot of mountain towing, some very steep. I get high winds and it tracks very well. Not a lot of rain and no snow.

I would agree on the Weight Distributing Hitch. Trailmanors have a high tongue weight and the WDH helps with that. The rear of the truck sags too much without it. You don't want a lot of weight taken off your front tires, this will affect steering an braking. The WDH levels things out nicely.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Agree that the F150 will be more than adequate. The Andersen No Sway Weight Distribution hitch has been a great find for me. Somewhat different than other WD hitches, no bars to lift, and allows backing without removing.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Crusty

Thanks for the quick responses, especially about towing suggestions. Our F150 has the factory towing package, rated for Class 1 - 4 and a max trailer rating of 6500 lbs. Now that we know we can tow the beast, can anyone tell us about the options we should add to the basic ks package. TM offered a canister toilet last year but not this, any thoughts? We want to make sure we get this right the first time so, all of your advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

If you're ordering a new one, it depends on your needs. If you're going to camp in warmer climates you'll want to add an AC unit; however if your dry camping you'll need a generator to power it.

The awning is nice, but if you're camping in wind prone areas, the awning is fragile and expensive to replace. We have an awning, but bring a 13x13 shade roof tent with us. It offers more shade and only costs $150 to replace if damaged. The Fiama costs about $800.

Upper cabinets are very useful.

Hope this helps but, if you give us an idea of what type of camping your planning and where, we can better answer your questions on options.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Crusty

My wife and I have traveled the world for work. We will retire in two years and plan on seeing the US. We hope to hit all 50 states. We have already been to Hawaii so, we won't have to float the TM. How flexible is TM when it comes to building what we want? Can you go to the factory or can you only buy through a dealer? Sorry, for the 50 questions but, as I said before, we want to get this right the first time.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

You can definitely go to the factory. If you contact them, they will give you the details.

Again, good luck, hope you find the perfect TM.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #10
davlin
TrailManor Master

Crusty,

One of the most polarizing topics for TM owners seems to be the Thetford recirculating toilet; some love it, and some can't wait to replace it with something else. There's waaay too much material on this topic to summarize here, save to say that we've been Thetford owners for 20 years (two TMs) and like them just fine.

I would recommend you spend the $12 to become a full member, and then search on "Thetford" in this forum. In the end, you will probably have to come to your own conclusion.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote