TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Furnace noise--revisited

Those with furnaces located under a couch or in some other fabric-enclosed location seem to report fewer noise problems than those of us whose furnace is in the kitchen cabinet. This seems to suggest that some insulation around the unit might muffle some of the noise. If so, could/should the insulation be internal or external? I removed the grate/shroud/cover (or whatever you call the brown metal louvered covering) and noticed that there is a significant internal space (apparently a dead-air space) that surrounds all four surfaces around the heater. Can any of that space be safely filled with some type of sound-deadening material? Even if it had to be a heat-resistant version?

While I had the cover off, I also noticed that the corners of the cover were causing some scarring of the paper veneer on the cabinet (eek!) so I bought a few inches of small clear tubing and slit it lengthwise. Then I cut four pieces to fit the corners and slid them on. Some help with noise, as the cover is now held solidly against the cabinet and no more scarring of my fine fake wood grain.

I read the book and tried various settings on the thermostat in an attempt to achieve better run times and on-off functionality. Nothing seemed to help. Maybe a new 'stat is the answer, or at least part of the answer.

We have pretty much abandoned the furnace in favor of a quartz heater. It runs quietly and keeps the trailer warm enough to sleep comfortably. Wonder if you could pitch the furnace and make a permanent installation of a Mr. Heater Buddy (or some other brand) in the same area.

Wayne
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote