TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #11
friscomike

Default Re:Equal-i-zer Hitch

I think there is some "more is better" thinking going on here, and I'm not sure if that is right when it comes to weight distribution hitches.

Let's be realistic. The 2619, for example, has a listed tongue weight of 351 pounds (2720 slightly less). I think that it is probably safe to assume that propane bottles, a battery and the gear in front of the axle will not USUALLY be more than 249 pounds (especially when the weight taken off the tongue by the gear behind the axle is taken into consideration), though of course it COULD BE. I realize that. But I'll bet if you checked the tongue weight of 100 2619s, very few would be over 600 pounds. So if we believe that the tongue weight is likely to be at or below 600 pounds, why wouldn't we go with the 600 pound tongue weight hitch?

I was very torn between the 600 and 1,000 pound hitches myself, so I called Trail Manor. They recommended the 600 pound tongue weight hitch for the 2619, for all of the reasons I mentioned above. I also called Equal-i-zer, and they said that the 1,000 pound tongue weight hitch would probably do no harm, other than maybe a stiffer ride (which puts unnecessary stress on the trailer and tow vehicle frame), but that the 600 pound tongue weight hitch should be the first choice, because this type of application is what the 600 pound tongue weight hitch was designed for.

I initially thought that the 1,000 pound tongue weight hitch was the better choice, but I really think now that the 600 pound hitch is a better choice for the 2619, primarily because YOU ARE ONLY TRYING TO DISTRIBUTE ABOUT 600 POUNDS OF TONGUE WEIGHT.

I know there are many opinions concerning this issue, this is just mine. I understand that both sizes would probably work fine, it's just nice to know which hitch works BEST.

Has anyone used both hitches on a Trail Manor? Which one felt better?