TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
oilspot

Default Shifting top halves?

I have a problem where my reefer vents get bent or torn when I open up the TM.

At first I thought something was caught against the vents, but now I suspect the top halves have shifted.  

The gap on the street side is different than the gap on the curb side (curb side wider).  Apparently the back half seals drag across the vents and mangle them terribley.  I've already replace the louvers once...

So I'm wondering if I should try to shift the top back towards the center...

Any thoughts or insights?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:53 AM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re: Shifting top halves?

Most likely I should keep my mouth shut for once but if I were you I'd make a trip to the dealer (after calling them to make sure they could fix it).

You're getting into the lift, along with all the balances, torks, etc. Its a job I would not try unless 1)I had lots of help 2)had detailed written instructions and 3) had a lot more nerve than I do now.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Happytrails

Default Re: Shifting top halves?

I would contact TM directly and ask them. This is definately a problem not easily fixed. Let me know what they say as I've a similar problem myself. I've tried to bend the ends of the torsion springs myself, but there just isn't enough room with them still on the TM to bend them. In my case, when I first opened up the unit, and the wall separated from the ceiling/roof section, it bent the torsion springs at the bottom slightly outward causing a fairly wide 1" gap or so when it's opened up. What I tried to do while having the upper section up and off the travel arms, I inserted a hydrolic "spreader" which is kind of like a specialized jack in between the rock wall, and the bottom of the travel arm on the torsion spring and applied pressure. Problem was the top of the travel arm would simply hit the TM, and wouldn't give me enough space to actually bend the spring back. I guess in my case, I could raise the roof again. (well, I will need to anyway at some point to finish inserting the new pocket stop modification anyway), and take the travel arm completely off the torsion spring and see if I can bend it in then. In your case however Oilspot, I would contact TM directly as it is more than likely covered under warrenty, and it does appear to be a problem with your torsion springs, which have a lifetime warrenty. At any rate, let me know what they tell you.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]