TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
eloughrige

Default Need help with radio power

Hi All,

I have a really weird situation with my 2004 2620. We just purchased the camper at the end of last season. I had the factory radio working. I decided to swap out the radio this season with a newer model (that includes a DVD player). I now can't get the new player to power on. In troubleshooting, I tried to put the old radio back in and it does not power on either. I checked the voltage across the Blue and White wires above the fridge and it read 12.5V. (I wish I would have checked the old radio this season before I removed it!)

I vaguely remember having trouble powering on the radio last season, but I don't remember how I remedied it. Am I missing something? A master switch? I have both the battery and land power connected.

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!

Erin and Chad

2004 2720

2017 Armada
eloughrige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Power is coming to the location above the radio, so there is nothing like a master switch getting in the way. When you changed the wiring to accommodate the new radio, did you change any connections? Some radios come with an adapter connector, and an adapter that works with one radio may not work with another.

What changes did you make in order to install the new radio?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
eloughrige

Thanks Bill. Quick update. I was able to get the new radio powered up through some trial and error. For others that may be in the same situation, here's what I had to do:

I had just hot and ground coming from the TM (typical). The old radio had the Hot going to the Red wire (ACC) direct to the radio. The Hot was also going to the yellow, but in between was a small black in-line box (for the constant low power power I assume). The ground was also going through this box and then to the radio.

With the new radio, I had tried the exact same connections (running yellow and ground through that little box). It didn't work. I then tried to remove the in-line box from the equation and just connect red (ACC) and ground directly to the radio. No dice. Finally, I decided to connect both the yellow and red wires directly to Hot and remove that in-line box completely. And ground to ground. That did the trick. Power

I'm not sure I'll have constant low power to save the clock settings, etc., but that's not a huge deal for me. I'm just glad I have power to the player!

Erin and Chad

2004 2720

2017 Armada
eloughrige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
kd4dra

Default Thanks

Thanks for giving us the scoop on your fix, some don't take the time to let us know what they did to fix. Thanks again, Rick
kd4dra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Craig V

Sort of related: our radio has a removable face. I’m not sure if was factory. But the darn thing doesn’t seem to have an “off” setting. So when we store it, we just pop the face off and store it in a drawer. I presume that kills any power consumption.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I have a similar radio and do the same; take and stow the faceplate. I'm considering adding an on/off switch and leave the face plate on.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote