TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Silverdale Manor

Default Water leaking inbetween wall

On our most recent weekend trip, we decided to use the shower to fill the toilet (we had to replace the shower attachment due to that was previously leaking) and my hubby yelled for me to turn it off. He said that there was water running down from between the wall. This only happens when the tub/shower faucets are turned on. This weekend he opened up the area surrounding the faucet (have to remove the caulking and screws and panels) and found what appears to be a gray 1/2" weird shaped gasket looking like it is cracked on one end. It is where the hose connects to the hot & cold faucet. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so where did you find the replacement gasket?
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sounds like the previous owners forgot to drain the showers (inside and outside) during cold weather. A freeze break here is not uncommon, and not a big deal to fix. The only hard part is getting access to the plumbing in that area, and you've already done that.

All the plumbing parts - pipes, connectors, nuts, washers, etc - are standard-issue hardware store items. If you are not familiar with the plumbing here, you might take a couple well-focused detailed pictures of the break area, print them out, and take them to the store with you. Try to put something in the picture that will show the scale of things - a coin or a ruler is a good choice. If you can find a real hardware store (as opposed to a big box store), so much the better. The salesman will know more. But even if you can't find a knowledgable salesman, the pics may allow you to find what you need on your own.

If you could post the pics here, we might be better able to help you, too. A "weird shaped gasket thing" isn't bringing a picture into my mind.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Silverdale Manor

My husband was able to find a replacement for the 'weird' shaped gray gaskets via work however when replacing them the actual faucet gasket died so we ordered a new faucet from CW this past weekend. Hope all goes well once installed. I would like to use the hose for filling up the toilet and washing feet in the evenings before bed. tick tock tick tock .... waiting for the delivery to arrive
Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

We also found out there was a leak there after we purchased our new-to-us TM from a previous owner. We purchased a new faucet from a camping supply company and found we needed to cut the threads a bit to make it fit into the space, but other than that no other problems. We just make sure we blow out the water lines before we close it up for the winter and so far, no problems.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question Trying to solve the problem in advance ...

If I want to wrap the water pipe to the bath/shower in heater tape, for cold camping, will I need to remove the tub to get access, or is the whole idea of heating these pipes impossible?

If that's REALLY difficult, I can also imagine draining the bath/shower end of the water system by installing shut-off valves at some point before the the hot and cold pipes become freeze-prone, draining each night where it will get too cold, and then re-filling the system in the warmer daytime (morning, maybe noon).

Which way to go?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
If I want to wrap the water pipe to the bath/shower in heater tape, for cold camping, will I need to remove the tub to get access, or is the whole idea of heating these pipes impossible?

If that's REALLY difficult, I can also imagine draining the bath/shower end of the water system by installing shut-off valves at some point before the the hot and cold pipes become freeze-prone, draining each night where it will get too cold, and then re-filling the system in the warmer daytime (morning, maybe noon).

Which way to go?
On my 3124 and 3326, the tub plumbing is accessible through an access plate in the rear storage area. You can also remove the outside shower.

If I understand your question, you suggest adding shutoff valves inside the trailer somewhere, then draining some of the plumbing? This will only work if you add an air vent valve after the shut offs. Without it the water won't drain. Seems easier to drain the trailer using the existing system and refilling if it is a concern.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
rumbleweed

The shut off valve idea can work if you leave the new shut off valve open and drain the TM water system as you normally would. Then shut off the new valve preventing water from entering the isolated section of tubing. Seems like if you are camping in weather that cold, best to not use the water system at all because you will still have the outside water tank drain that can freeze as it will have water in it.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
On my 3124 and 3326, the tub plumbing is accessible through an access plate in the rear storage area. You can also remove the outside shower.
In my '06 2720SL, there is no access plate - I think that came along later, and I wish I had it. The only way to get to the plumbing is by removing the outside shower. Also, unless something has changed since my '02 2720SL, the tub is non-removable because of the glued-in drain fitting that drops directly into the top of the gray tank.

Bill
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Wink Thanks, guys!

My 2619 is like Bill's 2720 of the same year - no access. Thanks for advising me of the drain plug problem with moving/removing the Tub!

A vent for such drainage already exists: Either the tub valves, or the bathroom sink. (The outside shower is at an even better height, but I don't like the possibility of provoking leaks by turning it "on". We never use it, and I wish that I didn't even have the feature.)

If I don't have access to put the shutoff valves subsequent to the "T"s which lead to the bathroom sink, or it appears that those pipes are not yet in the "danger zone", then the bathroom sink remains connected. OTOH, if the bathroom sink water lines must be drained, then it becomes an excellent vent. Wasting all 6 gallons of existing hot water by doing a complete drain, and having no kitchen sink source, would be a lot less desirable.
- - - -
Does the Thetford Toilet add a bit of "fresh water" with each flush?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Does the Thetford Toilet add a bit of "fresh water" with each flush?
No. There is no connection between the Thetford and any fresh water line.

Bill

Tags
faucets, leaks, plumbing, shower, tub