TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
chvaka

Default Changing a Tire

I have never had to change a tire yet (knock on wood) but would like to check the breaks. What is the best way to jack up the TM to get the tire off. Would I just use the jack came with my truck (Chevy Silverado)? Where is the best place on the TM to place the jack?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 05-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Changing a Tire

Chris,

I pulled a wheel once just to weigh it (50 lbs). I used a bottle jack resting on a cinder block. Placed it just behind the wheel and lifted on the frame. Also used my truck's scissor jack forward of the wheel. As I lifted the frame I incrementally lowered the front and rear stabilizer jacks. When the tire was clear of the ground, there were 4 supports. It was (IMO) quite safe.

Some here say the stabilizer jacks can be used soley to do the deed. I wouldn't, but I have no knowledge pro or con.

My $0.02 FWIW,

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

I had to do it once. :'( To the best I can remember, this is what I did.
1. Disconnect from tow vehicle.
2. Lower tongue jack as far as it will go.
3. Lower rear corner stabilizer (on side of flat tire) as far as it will go, even raising the rear of the trailer if it can.
4. Raise the tongue jack as high as it will go, until the tire is off the ground.
5. Lower the front corner stabilizer (on the side of the flat tire) as far as it will go to help raise the tire off the ground. :P

If you are on uneven terrain, you may need to use blocks under the stabilizers for height and stability.

When you get home, enroll in a ERS so you can make a telephone call the next time a tire goes flat and you can watch someone else change it for you! :
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
hal

We were told that it is a good idea to lower the stabilizers fully, especially, if you are near enough the highway for passing semis to whoosh your trailer off the jack.

Hal