TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
jimmyriley

Default Newbie TV and TT questions

I’m a newbie to the camping world and looking to purchase a TT. I haven't camped since i was a kid and want to start again. I’ve spent many many hours reading numerous posts on the forum but want to run my numbers by the more experienced.

I will get WD with Sway Control, a Transmission Cooler, and Brake Controller prior to purchase.

Most TT I’ve looked at are in the UVW of 4000-4500lbs with hitch weight included. Most have tongue weights listed at about 400-550lbs. I would prefer the max TT GVW at about 5000lbs once loaded. I am looking at Ultra Lites in the 23-25 foot range. So far, there are about 10 different TT’s the wife and I like and now just need to widdle down the list a bit. I am aware that I will need to get tongue weight at 13-15% while towing. I was recently directed to look at the TM and am impressed with what I read and see and now leaning towards one.

Current TV Specs:
2007 Trailblazer SS 6.0L LS2 V8, 2WD, 4.10 Rear End, Khumo STX KL-12 265/50R20 111V with Load Range XL and the max cold pressure of 50PSI listed on the sidewall. Rear Axles are semi floating and the suspension is with 5-Link Coiled springs. Also has Air Bag Leveling System.

Curb Weight Front- 2306
Curb Weight Rear- 2022
Total Curb Weight- 4328
CCC- 1673
GVWR- 6001

Hitch Specs:
Max Trailer Weight- 6800 w/WD
Max Tongue Weight- 912 w/WD
GCVW- 11,500 w/WD

Here are a couple of questions:
- Is my TV safe to pretty much tow any size Elkmont or TM?
- Any WD w/ sway control better than the other? I noticed that some trailers have swing hitches and may have difficulties with WD setups.
- Seems like a lot of the forum indicate issues/dislikes for the type of toilet and or its system. Are the newer models being upgraded due to numerous issues?

I appreciate and welcome any feedback you can provide. I can say for a fact that I am impressed with all the help the more experienced are providing to other forum users within the site.