TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Sally Prechtel

Default Cancelation due to weather???

I would like a few opinions on this matter: (Memorial Weekend)
We booked a 3 day spot at Wishon Village in the Sierra mountains above Fresno, CA. They have a no cancellation policy. On our trip up there Friday 2 1/2 hours. About 10 miles from our destination we ran into snow. There was about 2 inches of snow & vehicles were turnning around. I had no service on my cell phone. I had phoned the Village Wed and Thurs & they said it was cool but but didn't mention any weather coming in. When I got back to Fresno Friday around 3 in the afternoon & phoned them & said we could not get in. They told me the snow plows had cleared the road & for us to come on up. I said no I was afraid I would get stuck & asked for a refund. They said NO & would charge my credit card the entire amount. I then emailed them and asked for a credit for a Sun, Mon, & Tues when they are not busy. I have sent them 2 emails & they won't answer me. We used none of their utilities. The weather was not my fault nor theirs. Am I unreasonable for asking them to do a little something? Oh yes we did have aTM spotting out of Clovis, CA
Thanks Sally
Old 05-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
agesilaus

No cancellation means just that, otherwise you are taking money out of their pockets. On the other hand letting you call on some Saturday and asking for empty spaces on Sun-Tue does not seem to cost them anything and would have generated some customer goodwill. Those little gestures make the difference between successful businesses and ones that are gone in a few years.

They don't believe in that business rule: "one unhappy customer will cost you 20 other customers...."

BK
Old 05-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Scott O

Consider contacting your credit card company and asking for a charge-back on the fees you were charged. A no cancellation policy is completely unreasonable, particularily if you notify them 24 hours in advance. At worst, you should lose only your first night. I agree that they should have allowed you to transfer to a later date, which should have satisfied everyone. I am familiar with that area, and weather is just a part of doing business in the mountains, holiday weekend or not. And by the way, this episode means that I will not stay at that park. There are many others in the area which hopefully have better policies.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
wmtire

Sally, I was curious as to their stated cancellation policies, and took a look at what I believe to be the campground you are talking about. I see the the only time, they enforce that entirely is during certain holiday weekends. However, if weather conditions keep you from reaching their facility, it seems extremely reasonable (and business prudent) for them to work with you, especially in just exchanging the time for an off peak one.

http://www.wishonvillage.com/policy.html

If you are a Good Sam member, they have an action line that helps solve disputes from members and businesses. Most businesses would not want the possible bad publicity from this, especially with as many members as Good Sam has. That's one of the articles I read every month in their magazine, which lists their success stories, usually.

http://beta.goodsamclub.com/communit...spx#ActionLine
Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
NYJeff

I guess I'm in the minority but the rules are the rules. I would be irritated too but I wouldn't stop going to the CG (assuming I like it in the first place). It would have been nice had they done something for you out of goodwill but they certainly don't have to (just like you, or anyone else, don't have to patronize their business).
Old 05-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
agesilaus

I basically agree with you Jeff and I certainly do not see any justification for trying to cancel the charge via the credit card company. This is especially true since they told her that the road was clear and she could drive up.

BK
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
Scott O

There are obviously many sides to this. Everyone makes valid points. But having driven Sierra roads in the snow, there is no way I would have driven up that one in marginal weather. It is steep, twisty, and narrow, with a 6,000' gain in elevation. No place for a trailer in less than optimal conditions. And as another issue, I have to wonder if they rented the space to someone else, particularily on a holiday weekend...
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
mac_falls

Default Rules Are Rules But........

Well folks something similar happened to me last Memorial Day Weekend 2007, you are all correct rules are rules but nothing is carved in stone. DW needed emergency surgery last MDW had reservations for many months in advance with a no cancel or transfer rule. Called them & reservation person on phone (read me the policy) which I fully understood, I verrry politely asked for the campground manager, who also explained me corporate policy. Explained my stiuation & asked personally if he was in my situation what he would expect out of this conversatiion. Well he transfered my entire reservation to Labor Day Weekend without any penalty. I always treat my customers as if I was repairing my own equipment & I expect the same respect from them as well, works for me!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Sally Prechtel

Default Weather Cancelation

As I said in my first post. I emalied them twice to ask for a credit during a time I know they are empty. I even stated I would bring more people from the origional 2 to probably 6, & that would be more money for them. They have not answered me. It has been 2 days.
The roads were definately dangerous. I'm sure the snow plows were there sometime after we turned around. I am a Good Sam member. If I can't get them to respond to my credit I will take your advise and send an email to them. That is if I don't hear of any better ideas. I sure do thank everyone for all of their imput.
Sally

Tags
4 runner