TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
woodlandcottage
Site Sponsor

Thanks for digging those up ELM. I didn't not know there were types of frames that would not do well with a WDH. Very interesting.
I should also note that we bought our TM from The Car Show in Colorado Springs. They installed the electric brake controller, they recommended the hitch height, they approved the balance and the way we towed out. I'd like to believe they know what they are doing, being a dedicated TM dealer.
Our TM has a sticker inside the cabinet under the sink listing an unloaded weight of 2673#. We do have the awning and AC, plus two batteries and loaded gas tanks. I believe those add about 500# or so. We don't live in our car so it was just the weight of 1/4 tank of gas and the weight of our family of five. Since we are slim and have young ones, that was a mere 250# sans driver. I've carefully planned and weighed everything that will go in the camper. It will come in well under 300#. Food for each weekend trip will be around 30#. Everyone is allowed one 18" duffle for the weekend and no electronics so that's only another 50# max there. There is no danger of exceeding the weight limit for our TV.
We're taking it out this weekend(and doing a lot of shivering I imagine)so I will take some pictures of our ball height so you can see. It looks alright to me but I really don't know much about this. :P We will also try towing in 4WD mode to see if distributing the drive to all the wheels makes a difference.
Thanks so much so far for all your help! Will check back in later to report.
woodlandcottage is offline   Reply With Quote