TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Songbird

Question Confused About WDH and Sway Bars

I am looking to tow a 2619 with a 2007 Toyota 4 Runner V6. My 4 Runner manual says I cannot use a WDH. Will sway bars help with stabilization and can sway bars be added independent of a WDH?

I am a prospective buyer - never had a trailer before. Will be towing in the Sierras. Perhaps it is not safe or wise to do this with Toyota?

Help!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

The TM web site 2007 towing guide says that you are OK using that Tow Vehicle for up to 5000# of trailer weight. TM also makes a big point that you will need no sway stabilization or WDH. Unfortunately they do not discuss performance of the TV in the mountains. Possibly the V-6 will not give good climbing ability.

According to the advertised ratings for the TM 2619 it is limited to 4023# of total weight of which 323# will be resting on the 4 runner hitch ball.

Other members of this site have experience with a TM 2720 which is only 50# heavier than the TM 2619. Hopefully you will hear from "harveyrv" or "PopBeavers" about their real life experience. In fact, I believe "harveyrv" published a very good TV calculation guide at:
<http://changingears.com>
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
ib4classics

Songbird, I have a 2008 4 Runner V8, my manual has specific weights with or without a WDH. 7000 lbs with a WDH.
I think we have the same frame, I would expect your maximum towed weight to be lower with the V6, but are you sure about your manual and the WDH?
John
Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
PopBeavers

The one time I weighed my 2005 TM 2720, it weighed 3,380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue. I estimate that total TM weight was about 4,100 pounds. I ahve documented a pretty complete list before of what I ahd loaded.

I overloaded it with everything I thought I might want to ever take with me. I wanted to simulate the heaviest situation I could image. I was full of water, but the holding tank was empty. I had the floor so full of chairs, tables, generator, etc. that I don't think I could have put much more in.

If anyone ever exceeds what I did, then they must have a rock collection.

TMs are designed with the axle a little further back than you would normaly find in a different design. This results in a very stable tow configuration. A TM should never need sway bars, unless you tow with a very short wheelbase vehicle. It also results, I think, in the TM tongue weight being a bit heavier than the traditional 10 to 15 percent. But because the TM is so light, that is still an acceptable tongue weight.

When I was towing with my little truck (2002 Silverado 1500HD crew cab, 4wd, 6.0 gas, 6.5 foot bed) I was advised by the factory that I would not need WD bars. My truck rear bumper used to sag about 5/8 inch when I hitched up the TM. Now that I carry 2 offroad motorcycles in the truck, plus gas and tools, the truck sags more and I can not get the TM wheel off of the tongue jack because it hits the ground. I solved that problem by switching to a 2008 2500HD Sierra 2500HD crew cab, 4wd, 6,0 gas, 8 foot bed. The Silverado is now used to tow the ATV trailer.

I have no information regarding towing a TM with any other truck.

A general rule of thumb is that a typical family will carry about 1,000 pounds of stuff beyond the base weight of the traieler. In my exerience, that is a very good rule of thumb. It is possible to travel lighter, but I never do.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Songbird

My manual indicates that only the V8 can use the WDH - no for the V6. Will call Toyota to verify but manual seems pretty clear.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
kenngeri2720

Songbird
Let us know what Toyota says, I have a 2007 4runner V6 and I use a WDH in the Colorado mountains and would not pull without the wdh.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
My manual indicates that only the V8 can use the WDH - no for the V6. Will call Toyota to verify but manual seems pretty clear.
I would like to hear what they say about this...
The only reason I could see not recommending a WDH is the design of the frame or suspension. The size of the engine should be irrelevant, unless...the V8 version of the TV has a different frame or suspension than the V6 version.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Songbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenngeri2720 View Post
Songbird
Let us know what Toyota says, I have a 2007 4runner V6 and I use a WDH in the Colorado mountains and would not pull without the wdh.
If you have your owner's manual, the information is on page 362 (the diagrams of the hitch receiver types - the weight carrying hitch (that comes on the the V6) and the weight distributing hitch (that comes on the V8). On page 363 in the yellow CAUTION boxes it discusses load weights and hitches. The second bullet is what I am concerned about.

I spoke with Toyota. They "do not recommend" a WDH with the V6 because "you shouldn't need it if you are towing within the capacity of the V6 (5,000 pounds)". I asked if it was POSSIBLE to add a WDH to the weight carrying hitch receiver type (which I have on my V6 and I assume you have on yours). Toyota "doesn't recommend it" because it isn't needed... But it is entirely up to you. SIGH. The only thing I can figure is that they are afraid of liability because if they say you can put a WDH on you may pull over the load limit which would screw with the engine.

Is your receiving hitch the weight carrying hitch as in the manual, and have you added a WDH to it? If so, what brand of WDH are you using?

Thank you so much for your info and opinion on this.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
rumbleweed

I would agree that the answer is what it is for legal reasons. If they suggested a WDH and it allowed you to tow in excess of their safe limits, they could be liable.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
kenngeri2720

Songbird,
I went to the Toyota dealer here in Colorado Springs and talked about the wdh and the V6/V8 and was told about the same as you, now here come the interesting part. The service manager and the tech's agree that the setup on the V6 is as strong if not stronger than the V8’s. The V6 is bolted to the back cross member of the frame. On the V8 a tubular hitch similar to an aftermarket is bolted on to the frame, both have the same number and size of mount bolts. The wdh actually reduce the weight the hitch will be carrying but will give you the ability to pull more than what the TV is rate for NOT A GOOD THING. I am going to continue using a wdh, but stay within all the ratings of the TV as stated by the manufacture.