TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
mac_falls

Default Timbren SES

Added Timbren SES to my 1998 Windstar before last years towing season, made ALL the difference in the world on how it tows & handles. Check it out at www.timbren.com, could not be happier!!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
And that leads to the WDH. I have done some research with using one on this vehicle. My owners manual says "Not recommended for use with this vehicle...." and the implication is that if you do not adjust it properly, you can experience handling, braking problems.
If you DON'T have a WDH, you can experience handling and braking problems, because the tongue weight of the trailer takes weight off the front wheels of the tow vehicle. Since the front end of the tow vehicle does all of the steering and most of the braking, unweighting it can indeed cause the problems described. A WDH can only help this situation, not make it worse.
Quote:
There's the kicker - with my Pilot, I really don't have a "frame". The body is sitting on essentially rails, that are built WITH the body (Unit body).
Yup, that's the problem with unibody vehicles. The WDH exerts a torque (twisting force) on the body, which put a downward twist into the "frame". In other words, it tries to bend the middle of the vehicle down toward the ground. Imagine that you put a pair of wheelbarrow handles on the rear of the tow vehicle, and lifted them. Does the lifting force bend the "frame" between the rear and front wheels, dropping the belly of the vehicc toward the ground? Or is the "frame" rigid enough that the lifting force shifts weight directly to the front wheels? A true frame is rigid enough to do the latter. A unibody may bend, which would put wrinkles in the sheet metal since the sheet metal is part of the load bearing structure. This is a force that was not planned in the design of the unibody.

Does that make sense? Hope so.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Compac Camper

Default WDH - Pilot

Thanks Bill and others for the replys - and yes that does make sense. The new 2720SL I just purchased this past weekend will be towed on weekends and for shorter distances - but I think will be looking next year for a new TV for the TM. We will keep the Pilot for my wife and kidos for safety and all the rest, and for pulling the boats. But I do think that a larger TV with a frame is the way to go with TT towing. But for this summer - we will watch it with the Pilot.

Thanks for the input.