TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Russ-Bett

Default Major Frame Problem

We need your input to see if anyone else has had the problem we are facing now with our TM2619.

We have a 2003 TM2619 which seems to be having a major frame stress problem where the weight distribution hitch connects to the TM frame. So far we have about 5000 miles on our unit.

Attached is a picture of a crack occuring in the weld that holds the "swing out" mechanism. Also, if you look closely, you can see the frame "bubbling" on the top of the frame above the crack.

When we first noticed the crack in the weld and the bubbling, we took the unit back to the dealer in Tampa, FL. They looked at it and told us to contact the factory. They commented that cracking and bubbling in the frame shouldn't happen with a WD hitch.

We took the unit to Weld-Rite Hitch in Tampa, FL to see if the crack could be welded. They told us that it wouldn't do any good to weld it. Their comments where that the frame needed to be strengthened and we needed to take the unit back to the factory (which is over 700 miles from where we live).

We have been in contact with Ed Lytle from TM. I've sent him pictures of the problem. He has been trying to help us get the problem solved.

Have any of you had a similar problem with your TM, especially those of you who use a WD hitch?

Please let us know. We need to get the problem resolved.
Your unit isn't usable as it is.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Major Frame Problem

My '02 2720SL has the swing away hitch and I've always used a WDH...but I've yet to see any indications of cracking or bending in the tongue.

Your picture didn't attach by the way.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:00 AM   #3
Russ-Bett

I may have done something wrong.

Let me try the picture again.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let me offer three comments.

1. Like Ray, I have a ton of miles on my '02 2720 swing tongue, and everything looks just the way it did when it was new.

2. Your picture is a great close-up, but it is so close that I'm not sure what I am seeing. Can you post another just like it, but with the camera backed up a few feet to provide some frame of reference?

3. A frame should NEVER exhibit buckling or bending. I'm not quite sure what bubbling is. Does it mean that the paint coming off the deformed area?

Judging by your verbal description, I would not try to drive it 700 miles to the factory unless the factory assures you there is no problem.

Finally, one other comment. This has nothing to do with your problem, but may be of general interest. Assuming that the picture was taken when the TM was hitched up and the spring bars raised, and assuming that the chain on the right is the weight-bearing chain, then you have a minor error in your hookup. Looking at your photo, the top link - the one that goes over the springbar hook - has two links below it. Of these two, the link on the left appears to be the first link in the loose end of the chain; the link on the right is the first link in the weight bearing segment. You see how the first loose link is wedged under the first weight-bearing link? It shouldn't be. The first weight bearing link should be carried in the curve of the top link. The first loose link should be above it.
As near as I can tell, there are two reasons to make sure you arrange the chains this way. First is wear - the left and right links will wear each other badly. The second is the possibility of a SLAM if the loose link should get squeezed out from under the weight-bearing link.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
Russ-Bett

Thanks for the replies on my frame problem. I've looked further at the problem. Seems it may be a fault of the swing tongue. The gap between the swing tongue and frame on the right side is about 3/32nd thick and consistent in distance from the top to the bottom of the gap, making the frame and swing tongue in the same plane.

The gap on the left side is about 1/8 inch at the top and about 1/2 inch at the bottom. In this case, the frame and the swing tongue are not in the same plane. There is a noticable difference between how the right side of the swing tongue meshes with the frame and how the left side of the swing tongue meshes with the frame.

It appears to me that given the above, the right side of the swing tongue and frame are bearing the weight causing the stress and damage mentioned in my first post.

I have sent pictures and this possible explanation to Ed Lytle at Trail Manor. I'm waiting for their response.

Bill - thanks for the advice on the chain links. I'll make sure that they are not pinched.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
Russ-Bett

For those of you who are interested. Seems that the problem noted above is a result of the cross member (that ties the two frame sides together in the front of the frame) has been bent. It has bent where the pin from the fold-out tongue meets the cross member. The bending of the cross member seems to have put more weight on the right side of the frame causing it to bend and the weld to crack. Has anyone of you had the problem of the cross member bending when you use a WD hitch?

I've been working with Trail Manor to understand and resolve the problem. I'm hoping to get this issue resolved since our TM2619 is not usuable the way it is.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Russ-Bett

In the event anyone is interested, this problem has been solved by the TM factory. They wielded plates on top of the frame. Seems to work well. We have made two reasonably long trips since the fix. The last was through FL, GA, SC, and Alabama doing some of the rails-to-trails found in these states.

BTW, the TM factory was great to work with ED Lytle did a great job of getting us fixed and back on the road.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Glad to hear that your fix was satisfactory. It's nice to hear that the TM factory stands by their product!