TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
moneeleann

Default Needing help with awning, torsion bars, and service location...

and probably much, much more.... lol.

During our last camping trip, the lower sections of the awning arms (the end that hooks to the camper) bent in half.... It was raining. We had the awning tilted, and weren't collecting water, but one side had a slight bend that happened on a previous trip, which must have weakened it. Well, over it went. Let me tell you how much that sucks when you're trapped inside, lol. Anyhow, I've searched high and low. Anyone know where I would buy just the lower portion of the arm? I've found a few site that sell the entire piece, but I just need two of the lower portion. (I've considered buying tubing off amazon and using that).

Now for torsion bars.... We've had lots of trouble with this. The back shell pops open just like it should. No problems. The front, not so much... I know, it weighs more due to the air conditioner and the awning. The last trip, I tried it by myself, and lowered the tongue super low to get some gravity assist. I got it open, but man it was hard! However, the bolts on our torsion bars are tightened all the way... I don't know what else to do. Our torsion bars are a bit of a mess, very rusted. I'm wondering if they're just in need of replacing... Any ideas?

Last, once upon a time, I found a thread that listed not dealers, but service centers. I really would like to take it in for an adjustment, possibly have the bars replaced if needed, and some few tweaks (we're having problems with the door, one of the piano hinges are a bit bent, crazy oklahoma wind....) However, I am in central Oklahoma, and having trouble finding anyone near me. I can't drive it all the way to the factory right now, as it would be just me, driving with the 7, 4, and 1 year olds. I can't handle a lot of driving hours per day with all the kids, not to mention the difficulty setting up by myself. Colorado Springs is closer, but I'm worried about mountainous terrain between here and there, as I'm not equipped to tow in mountains. Once upon a time, there was someone in dallas/ft worth, but I can't locate them now. The website lists a dealer in arkansas, but they only have ONE trailmanor on their lot, with a lot of cars. I don't know how comfortable I am with that...

So... any suggestion on any of this? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
MisterP

I can offer some comments on the first two issues. I have no knowledge of service centers that can do torsion bar work.

I do not believe you can purchase half a support arm. I bent mine on our 3124 several years ago. I bought new ones from Fiamma. The arms slide in and out as a set, it would be better to replace the arm to ensure a proper fit.

Raising and lowering the shells should be done with a level trailer. Lowering the tongue will create an unbalanced load. Also, once you reach the balance point of the front shell it is designed to reach the stops. Tilting the trailer forward could cause it to swing with more force against the stops, with the potential for additional damage.

In my opinion you do need torsion bar replacements. Hopefully a member can help you find a convenient place to do it.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
ChillEDog

I believe the awning mfr website is http://www.fiammausa.com/
They might have parts.

The DFW dealer that I know about is Western Campers http://westerncampers.com/ . I don't know whether they service TMs but they are local dealer.

Good luck.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

There is no mountainous terrain between Oklahoma and Colorado Springs, unless you come through Dalhart, TX and across Raton Pass. Even that is a breeze, as it is 20 miles, max, of grade, up and down. It is a gradual grade but for one mile on the Colorado side, at the top. Just gear-down a gear or two (depends on your TV) when heading down the hill, and it is cake. I drive it all the time.

If you come across southeastern Colorado, it is as flat as Oklahoma. Easy trip, from a towing perspective.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I was able to buy Fiamma parts here:

[email protected]
Maureen
800-800-1662

They were good to deal with.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
moneeleann

Thanks for the help so far. My dad is the one who told me I was going to hit mountains. Glad to know that's not the case. I would be towing it up into kansas, and straight across into Colorado.

In the meantime, I've sent an email to both western campers and a local center. Will follow with a call today. Ideally, dallas would be a much better option, as I could take the kids to the sitter, then drive it down and leave it, then come back to get it when ready.

Those of you with experience, how fast is the car show with repairs, provided you've made an appt, etc.? I would have to break that trip up into two days and several small stops with the kids, and stay in a hotel while repairs are being made.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Leann -

The torsion bars either work, or they don't. A coating of rust is to be expected, which is unsightly, but doesn't effect the function of the bars unless they break.

I have had only one experience with a TM dealer, now defunct, who was supposed to be able to fix torsion bars. It was several years ago, and it was a disaster - he caused a lot of damage, and never did get the job done. From this I conclude that not just any TM dealer can do it. I would have complete faith in the Car Show, though.

Before investing a lot of time and money, I might be tempted to back off all four adjustment bolts for the front shell, and insert a shim between the end of the bolt and the end of the torsion bar. I have not done it, but the shim in my mental picture is a small square piece (maybe 1" x 1"?) of 1/4 inch thick steel.

Just a thought - not guaranteed. But easy to try.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
moneeleann

Excellent idea Bill. Then i remembered it isn't the bolt that had maxed out, its the torsion bar is turned all the way to the top of its adjusting area. Also, i have a definite bend to at least one, maybe two bars. Is this normal? Its bent to the point that its touching the top of the hole in the frame.