TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
MisterP

Default Our new curtains

We thought about how we wanted to replace the TM curtains for some time. I did not want to replace the curtains with the same type, because they remain in the windows when the trailer is closed, and the Florida sun is brutal.

We finally decided to make our own. We bought 84 inch curtains at BB and B, and my wife spent a lot of effort cutting them down. The result is that some have the curtain tabs at the top (the original tops of the full length curtains) and some have a pocket she made from the lower half of each curtain.

We also looked at which windows we open more than others. For those we use more often (only during FL winters) we made two panels so the curtains can be slid open for light or air. The remaining windows use a single panel. These can be slid to one side, but it's actually easier now that the work is done to take the panel down when the window is open.

Hanging the curtains - We did not want metal brackets on the walls, due to our suspicion that they would drag along the walls when opening or closing the shells. We looked at various options and finally came up with the 3M mounting solutions that use an adhesive tape that (theoretically) should be removable in the future. We also decided to leave the TM curtain tracks on all the windows; a future owner may choose to replace with the original curtains, the tracks are not that noticeable, and we did not want all the holes. We did remove the tie-backs and I filled those holes with almond latex caulk to reduce their visibility.

Curtain rods - we used brass adjustable rods also from BB and B. They are a relatively small diameter, so they don't stick out too much when they press agains the existing window valances. They fit well in either the curtain tabs or the pockets my wife sewed in. The window at the front of the trailer has a wooden box valance. That will use an spring-loaded adjustable curtain rod. We have not replaced that curtain yet because I have not been able to figure out yet how to reach the screws that hold the curtain on without removing the valance, which I would rather not do. I need my smaller screwdrivers, and forgot to bring them with me this trip (we keep the unit in a campground a couple of hours away from home).

The 3M hanging loops are available everywhere, we even saw them at Camping World. They are designed to hold hoses or cords, but they work well with the curtains. The loops are flexible, soft plastic and have a low profile on the wall. I have opened and closed the trailer with them on, and I know they slide on the wall surface because the next time I open the trailer a few of the loops are unhooked. I don't believe they will be a factor in opening the shells, nor do I believe they will leave any marks on the shells.

Will they come off in the future? I have no idea, but I had one in a slightly wrong position, and tried to pull the tab used to remove the adhesive strip. It said "no thanks, not budging" and broke. If you have not used these, the 3M pieces are supposedly removed by pulling a tab at the bottom (or top) of the adhesive pad stuck to the wall. The instructions say the tab will stretch to nearly a foot long and will slowly peel away from the surface with no damage. No worries, even if we decide to do something different in the future, and I can't remove the loops, they really don't interfere with anything.

I included one picture showing how bad or old curtains were getting, with many of the slide tabs breaking off and the curtains were hanging down, dirty, mildewed and stained. We are quite pleased with the result. When we close the trailer it only takes a minute to remove the curtains and stack them on the couch at the front of the trailer. They will remain dry, they are now out of the sun, and they should last a long time. We also bought curtains with white backing, so the summer heat load on the air conditioning should be reduced, yet they still let light in. The only window we did not install a curtain on is the door window, but it's frosted anyway and gives good light.

Overall this was a satisfactory solution to our worn out curtain problem.

Our new curtains - slideshow
Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
foxhaven0

Sorry, can't see your pictures.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
MisterP

Let me check into this. The pictures are public, not sure why they are not visible.

I have checked on my laptop and my iPad, without being logged into Photobucket. I can see them, as can others, so I am reluctant to change any settings. If members cannot see them and wish to PM me with an email address, I will be happy to email copies of the pictures.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Default Large pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Let me check into this. The pictures are public, not sure why they are not visible.
I reduced my screen to 75% and they looked great! Nice job !

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I could see all your photos and I love them and those curtains. At work...I use a lot of the 3M products...the poster hangers, coat hooks, and photo hangers. I have not see this new to me item but do plan to purchase some.

The various 3M products I use have the tab that you just pull to release. I work at my parish I use the 3M products to reserve pews, decorate the church hall etc.

At home I have used the tabs to display over 70 archery trophies in my home.

I have used them in the TM bathroomto hold my clear shower curtain against the the wall with the window in order to have a larger bathing area and protect that part of the wall.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Silverdale Manor

We also made put up new curtains...I actually bought 2 different sizes of café curtains (same pattern...kind of matches the floral print on the dinette cushions). No sewing needed and we used pairs for each window. Originally we also used the brass café rods but found that they bend over time and look crappy after awhile. So we bought carbon steel rods from Grainger and cut them down and capped them with black end caps. We used the brass brackets that came with the café rods. However we had to adapt them slightly so they slide onto the wall screws to hang and come off when folding down. Now our curtains stay nice and clean when we fold down.