TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That is great! What factory did you order it from, Sealand? Can't wait to hear about the install! Takes lots of pics!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Very cool. Yes, PLEASE take lots of install pictures......maybe TM should look into making this change!!!!
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
robertkennel

The factory is going to make a change. I wouldn't have even thought to ask these days. Your lucky if someone will even talk to you. Make sure if this thing works out get the name of the person willing to make the change. That guy is one in a million. Your on a roll now, thanks for not giving up.

Just today we were in a safety meeting at work and in the conference room the phone was ringing and ringing. We all (the field people) looked at each other thinking is someone going to answer that. Then the office manager says just pick up the phone and hang it up. There are only about 25 office people available to answer the phone. We all knew not to say a word or would be labeled as someone with a bad attitude. Could you believe we are a fortune 500 company. I am glad the toilet company isn't too big. Keep sharing, Robert
Old 05-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Hi Robert—ever since I bought my TM, and used the toilet, I've been crazy obsessed with changing the recirc toilet to something else; a Home Depot bucket with a seat? I haven't gotten confirmation that this is a “done deal” yet so I don't want to say too much here about how willing the factory guy was to make a change, I'll pm you. I almost blew the deal by mentioning to him that other people might be interested. I do agree with you that he is “one in a million”

When I get this unit I will be able to take actual measurements and see if it could be installed without a factory mod and post here.

wayneo

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I am very interested in hearing of your project.

You know, I find it very interesting how some of us (myself included) have had few issues with the Thetford -- after my personal modifications, I have no complaint whatsoever. Others hate it with a passion.

I'm just always curious as to why there is such a strongly polarized difference of opinion. Nonetheless, even if I never intend to make this mod myself, I'm always interested in hearing about them, and admiring the handiwork!

(Please do not let these comments divert the purpose of this thread. Any observations not pertaining to replacement of the Thetford should be directed to a new thread. Thanks!)
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Project creaping along!

Here's an update on the “Replace Thetford (recirc) with Sealand 711 M28C” project. It turns out that the Dometic/Sealand website has inaccurate dimensions for the toilet tank. I reported it—they say they'll correct it. Now that I have accurate measurements, I find that the stock “floor drain style” tank can be used.

This unit comes in two pieces, the 9-gallon tank on the bottom and the FINE CHINA CERAMIC bowl. The tank is standard molded poly but the bowl, seat, and lid are “class A” quality. It looks like a toilet you would see in a $30,000+ RV. WOW! I'm impressed!

I weighed the Thetford w/3 gallons charge at 48 lbs, and the Sealand at 40 lbs. This is not meant to say one is better than the other!

The tank fits PERFECTLY between the shower tub and the vanity. The tank is slightly “pyramid” shaped so it's wider at the bottom than the top. Left to right at the floor, there's about 1/4” between the tank and the quarter round baseboard trim. At the top of the tank there's about 1” clear on each side. Front to back, the tank is 17”, three less than the Thetford so big feet get a little extra room, if that matters.

Here's what I've done so far:

Removed Thetford. Before removing the floor flange I cut the 3” drain pipe with a Multimaster oscillating cutter, then cut the grey water pipe. I want to reuse the assembly with two slide valves (I'm cheap!). The bottom of the tank is threaded female for 3” ABS pipe, very simple. It looks like with one 3” coupling, two 1-1/2” couplings and a short piece of 1-1/2” ABS, that part of the job will be easy. The existing hole thru the TM floor will need to be wallowed out by about 2”.

The only other part of the job will be running some PEX for flush water. This toilet uses fresh water from your tank to flush, so that could be a consideration for some. I've seen schemes to use the grey water tank for flush water, but not for me.

As a caution, some folks have PM'd me that they find this toilet available at various retailers. So far, all of these look identical but did not have a 3” floor drain. They all had a 1-1/2” side discharge that won't work for us. To my knowledge, the correct toilet is only available from Scamp Trailers ($365+) or ARDEMCO (around $500+). My inclination would be to order from Scamp.

Since I don't do any camping til October, this project is second in line to working on and riding my Moto Guzzi. I hope somebody else might jump in and do this pretty easy swap (or you can come put mine in!). As I get time, I'll work on it and report more. I'd be more than happy to talk to anybody with questions by phone.

ps—I don't mean this to spark a debate on which toilet is better! (please)

Here's the Sealand, you can click on "specs" for more info:
http://www.dometic.com/enie/Internat...ctdataid=96282

mo later
wayne

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I am very interested in this mod since we always camp with full hookups water usage no big deal.

So if I understand correctly the 711-M28C fits without needing the factory to move drain 2"?

Where do you order this from exactly also?

You are like us no camping planned until fall. we are deep into Boating now.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #18
Dave99gst

My TM dont have the recirculating instead I have a Thetford Bravura model # 31085 installed
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/The...per_p_755.html
As far as i can tell.. its using the original floor flange and original flange location.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

As near as I can tell, the Bravura does not have a black water tank. Do you leave the black drain valve open, and flush directly into the campground sewer each time?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
thewayneo

Dave99gst: This toilet comes with it's own 9-gallon holding tank, sorta like one of the good features of the recirc toilet, no blue tank, black tank, or hookups needed, good for dry campers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post

So if I understand correctly the 711-M28C fits without needing the factory to move drain 2"?
***That's correct. As long as you get the tank with a 3" floor drain it will fit easily. The hole in the TM floor needs to "move" (or be wallowed out) about 2" towards the front.

Where do you order this from exactly also?
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-155-...er-toilet.aspx $365 + shipping/tax. I think Scamp is in Minn. This is the toilet they put in their lightweight trailers, and the correct one for us. Note their website still calls it "Travelor". Apparently when Dometic bought Sealand, they said "no more names for our toilets!"

For folks on the west coast, maybe pick up from ARDEMCO in Ca. However, don't mention that Scamp sells for less. If they hear that from too many potential customers they might report Scamp and ruin a good deal for us. Scamp is apparently selling for OEM cost and ARDEMCO didn't like that.
http://www.ardemco.com/sealand-31237...let-with-tank/

***Now I don't want to say that there are no other places to order this toilet from. It's just the ones I found with the 3" floor drain.

You are like us no camping planned until fall. we are deep into Boating now.
***Too many hobbies, too little time!

wayne

1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin