TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
bebotx

Default TV Shelves in Living Room of our 2720SL

I hung 2 shelves on the walls between the windows of the street and curbsides of the living area. The larger one is for our lightweight flat screen TV, and the other is to hold pictures, etc, and to hide the flush mount brackets on the wall that is not holding the TV shelf.

I got our 19" digital Emerson LCD/DVD TV at Walmart a couple of years ago. It weighs 9.5 lbs. We added the Winegard Wingman last year and get very decent reception.

We like the flexibility of being able to change the location of the TV for various reasons. Our preferred location for the TV shelf is on the streetside, with the chair on the curbside. That enables us to use another shelf we mounted next to the kitchen counter by the fridge to give us more counter space.

When we need to use the furnace, we put the TV shelf on the curbside with the chair on the streetside, so the airflow from the furnace isn't impeded.

Betty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor TV Shelf 1.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	7220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor TV TV Shelf 2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	7221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor Shelf 1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	7222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailmanor Shelf 2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	7223   Click image for larger version

Name:	2720SL privacy curtain 7 (Small).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	7224  

1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Maxine_51334

I like the idea. Where did you get thw shelves and mounting brackets ? Are they from TM ?

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

TV 2003 Ford F150 SuperCab 4x4
Maxine_51334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
bebotx

I fabricated the larger TV shelf with sturdy lightweight ready-made shelving and decorative brackets from Lowes. The ready made shelving is in the home organization section of Lowes, not the lumber section. I made it a couple of years ago.

The 24" floating ledge crown moulding shelf was purchased ready made about a month ago. You can find them online but I just saw some on clearance at Michael's a couple of weeks ago. I ordered mine online from ennospace.com so I could get a close match to the other wood in the trailer. Crown moulding shelves are a pretty easy DIY project if you have the tools. I was on the road with my trailer when I started that project so I ordered the ready-made shelf.

The flush mounts need to be mounted the same distance apart on both shelves and both walls if you want them to be interchangeable.

I used adjustable flush mounts from Rockler.com to attach the shelves to the walls. They're similar to the ones you can get from Trailmanor, only the "adjustable" (2 hole) half is smaller. See attached thumbnail.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=346

Due to the narrow size of the edges of the shelves, I attached the smaller adjustable half of the flush mount to the shelves. Depending on the setup of your shelves, you could attach the adjustable half to the wall, which would mean you only need to drill 2 holes in the wall. I attached the adjustable side to the shelf edges with wood screws.

I attached the 4-hole halves of the flush mounts to the walls with 3/4" long mollies with machine screws, and flat head sheet metal screws. If I had it to do over, I would use well nuts with machine screws for the aluminum wall. Anywhere that the mating parts of the flush mounts slide together, you need to use flat head screws. Any screw head that protrudes will interfere with the flush mount mating, so I used 2 mollies in the lower holes and 2 sheet metal screws for the upper holes of the 4-hole side of the anchor.

I got all the anchors and screws at Lowes. At Lowes, well nuts are in drawers with the other specialty-type hardware (not hanging on the wall).

This is an easy project but you really have to "commit" to it, because you'll be drilling holes in the walls and the holes for the anchors are about 1/4".

Betty
Attached Images

1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote