TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just to finish out this topic. Discount Tire couldn't get the Schrader unit in time for our trip, so I bought a TireMinder Solar Powered Trailer Tire Monitoring unit. Amazon same-day del'y $135.

The monitor is small but clear. Its internal battery is charged by a solar cell or a USB charge cord. It is intended to be mounted on the windshield glass.

There are 4 very light screw-on sensors - it is OK to use only 2. Sensor batteries are replaceable.

It has a small repeater-booster box, which MUST be hooked up. Customer Service told me that the system will not operate without it, even at close range.

Once the booster was in place, getting the system up and running was quite easy, except for the fact that the printed instructions left out an important step. Another Customer Service rep walked me through it quickly and easily.

So at this point, the only things I know are that it properly reads out tire pressure (psi or bar) and temp (degrees F or C). The characters are kind of small, which makes it hard to read at eyeball-to-windshield distance. The display auto-dims after a few seconds, which I don't care for - it will make it hard to read at a glance. It brightens when there is an alarm. But even at full brightness, the display may be hard to read against a bright sky.

I will use it on our upcoming extended AZ-to-ME trip. I'll report my complete evaluation when we arrive, but at the moment, I think I am satisfied overall - we'll see. Thanks for the discussion, everyone.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think this display is going to be a problem. Small plus dim - in other words, hard to read at a glance - makes me uncomfortable. I may decide to return it. Stay tuned.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote