TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default Rear shell intermittent power

Last year I managed to break the switch that controls power to the rear shell. The one at the back of the shower wall. I tightened it improperly when it was loose.

So I purchased a replacement switch from the factory and installed it.

Last trip out the power to the rear shell would go on and off while walking around in the TM. As a temporary fix to get us through the weekend I just placed a piece of cardboard between the switch button and the wall.

There was a subtle design change between the original switch (2005 TM) and the replacement switch. The original switch was infinitely adjustable. However, the replacement switch has a limit imposed because the topmost nut will only thread down part way and then it stops. I wish I had kept the nuts from the old switch.

So today I made a repair. I could not find a nut that was appropriate. Hardware stores don't have them, unless you get them with a switch, which I did not need.

I also looked at washers, but they were way to large for the outside diameter, and were also much thicker than I needed.

But I found a 5/8 inch thrust washer that had a small OD and was 1/16 inch thick. I placed it on top of the metal mounting plate and under the topmost nut. This raised the button 1/16 inch and solved the problem. Cost was $1.59 plus tax. A little more costly than a regular washer, but cheap enough.

I also looked at plastic washers, but they were not quite large enough in diameter. Also looked at rubber gaskets, but they were too thin.

So if you have a reason to replace your switch, keep the nuts from the old switch, and in a pinch look at thrust washers instead of regular washers.