TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
P and B

Default Like to see a "Places to Camp" Section

I was browsing the forum for places to camp in NY. Surprisingly, I didn't find much. I looked for a specific section where other TM owners can provide feedback on places they've camped in a particular state but there isn't on. So, my suggestion is to add a "Campground Review" directory. If the State abbreviation were included in the name of the review, it would be pretty easy to search on Posts by state. This way, if any TM owners run across any particularly nice spots, we can pass them along. Nothing worse than pulling into a bad camping spot. Of course, everyone's criteria are different but that's what makes the ratings that much more useful.

Phil
Old 02-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Phil -

That's an interesting idea. But there are so many campgrounds in the US! Tens of thousands, I would bet. No matter how many reviews we did here, we would touch on only a tiny fraction of them, and most of the reviews would be at least a couple years old, and therefore would not necessarily reflect current conditions.

There are two versions of the "Big Book of Campgrounds" - one from Good Sam and one from Woodall's. They are updated yearly, and have a pretty good and comprehensive rating system. And each one costs only about $12. My wife and I carry one in the car at all times when we are TMing. It lets us change our mind at the last minute, and still be guaranteed a decent place to stay.

I think that our Recommended Campgrounds Forum is about as close as we are going to come.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
jimair1548

Phil, I'll slip this in real quick....we camp in places that lend themselves to bicycle riding, not mountain bikes but railtrail, etc. and two areas in NY that are great are Watkins Glen St. Park, right at the glen and in town,....Jim with really pretty country just north of town, the finger lakes and vineyards. Just off the lake on Rt 14 are some beautiful Amish farms. Another NY site is the state park just out of Glens Falls called Moreau Lake St. Park. It is handy to the tow barge canals in and around Glens falls and a great paved trail to Lake George(pretty area) We really enjoy both these parts of NY, but as I mentioned, we favor areas for bike riding.
jimair1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
P and B

Default Campground Reviews

Thanks all. I will look at the sites suggested. We, of course have the books that list the campgrounds. Just nice to have a personal review from someone who has actually spent some time in a particular area.

Phil
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
ragmopp

Phil,

Here is a site I like to go to:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/index.html

This site has reviews from all sorts of campers about various parks all over the country. I have found it very helpful. Although I keep a copy of Trailer Life campground around, the reviews on this site give a much more in depth review of a particular campground...

Mike Anderson