TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
greenmtnman

Default New to the site

I'm new to this site and to camping with RV's too.
We are thinking of buying a 2010 2720 and I'm having question to ask.
Its used and looks good little marks here or there. Inside looks good too.
Drivers side has putty near the bottom of rear window.
Any ideas about what to and how to check for any concerns this RV may have.
We want this for traveling across the America.
We have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6. Need to buy a hitch and add add another tranni cooler.

Thanks for reading any help and replies
Old 08-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnman View Post

Check out this thread. Don't forget brake controller.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8878
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmtnman View Post
I'm new to this site and to camping with RV's too.
We are thinking of buying a 2010 2720 and I'm having question to ask.
Its used and looks good little marks here or there. Inside looks good too.
Drivers side has putty near the bottom of rear window.
Any ideas about what to and how to check for any concerns this RV may have.
We want this for traveling across the America.
We have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6. Need to buy a hitch and add add another tranni cooler.

This is hard to answer without being pretty general about the advice. 2010 models were being made under the old TM management. Mine was manufactured in July of 2009 and had several QC issues that were worked through with my dealer before and after delivery.

Since the purchase 4 years ago things have been generally good with minor problems that I fixed myself. My dealer in Phoenix stopped carrying TM in 2011. Since then I have worked directly with the new factory management for parts and recently have been asked to deliver my TM to the closest dealer (380 miles away) for a warranty upgrade/repair of the floor under the center lift arm supports.

Is the unit you are interested in at an RV dealer or a private party? That may make a difference in the "after sale support". Either way it would be well to check out the operation of all of the equipment.

For instance, check the heater, the refrigerator, the stove and the oven. Check all of the lights, inside and out including the lights and brakes that are powered by the tow vehicle.

Remember that some of the equipment may work on several kinds of energy and also that the equipment in your TM may be different from my TM. The refrig in my TM will operate on either 120 VAC, 12 VDC or propane. My water heater will work on either 120 VAC or propane. The Air Conditioner will only work on Shore power(120 VAC). The heater will only work on propane but needs 12VDC from either the battery or the "Converter" while on shore power.

Be sure to test all things on "shore power" and on battery only. Test the water system using shore water "garden hose" supply and also with the water pump taking water from the storage tank. Partially fill the toilet and verify the flush pump works properly. I use the shower hose to charge (fill) the toilet. Be sure the water heater is full of water before you try it out.

This a very general idea of what is needed, so a big part of what you need to know is yet to be learned. Perhaps the seller can help you learn how to operate everything. If not, find out more about the on board equipment model numbers so you can look up operator instructions on various web sites.

It's just the beginning of an exciting journey. Best of luck.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The replies here have addressed most issues for a very good start on what to look for....

As mentioned already, a lot depends on whether this is a private sale or dealer sale. Either way, ask the seller to demonstrate the unit's appliances and electrical components. These are the most expensive items to replace. If the seller cannot do this due to a private sale and no access to 30a power for the AC, it does not necessarily doom the unit but I would negotiate the price on this factor without knowing it does work and cool effectively. The other applicances can be tested on battery or 20a plug with an extension cord, but the AC cannot. The refrigerator will take several hours to chill enough for proper testing, for me, so the best way is to ask the seller to set it up the previous day or night. Roll out the awning and inspect for wear and tear. By all means check the tires, ask for date they were installed and if it has original tires, they can be suspect, not necessarily bad, but suspect. There is a date code on the side wall you can check yourself if the TM is a dealer sale and they tell you " don't worry, their new!!!! Ask for any water leaks. Inspect for water marks, rust stains, etc.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Unless the tires were changed recently they are for sure suspect. Our 2011 unit came with 2009 tires and at exactly 4 years and 1 week old we had a blow out.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
greenmtnman

Default answer to some of the questions as

the TM is at a RV dealer not a TM dealer.

not sure about the tires will check and will have all ele parts checked.
1st will have the whole thing taken down and put back up.

you all have been great. Like picking up on the hose and clamp on the gray water tank, good catch!

thanks again to all and will keep you all up to date and maybe more question's after taking inside pictures.