TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Furnace noise--revisited

Those with furnaces located under a couch or in some other fabric-enclosed location seem to report fewer noise problems than those of us whose furnace is in the kitchen cabinet. This seems to suggest that some insulation around the unit might muffle some of the noise. If so, could/should the insulation be internal or external? I removed the grate/shroud/cover (or whatever you call the brown metal louvered covering) and noticed that there is a significant internal space (apparently a dead-air space) that surrounds all four surfaces around the heater. Can any of that space be safely filled with some type of sound-deadening material? Even if it had to be a heat-resistant version?

While I had the cover off, I also noticed that the corners of the cover were causing some scarring of the paper veneer on the cabinet (eek!) so I bought a few inches of small clear tubing and slit it lengthwise. Then I cut four pieces to fit the corners and slid them on. Some help with noise, as the cover is now held solidly against the cabinet and no more scarring of my fine fake wood grain.

I read the book and tried various settings on the thermostat in an attempt to achieve better run times and on-off functionality. Nothing seemed to help. Maybe a new 'stat is the answer, or at least part of the answer.

We have pretty much abandoned the furnace in favor of a quartz heater. It runs quietly and keeps the trailer warm enough to sleep comfortably. Wonder if you could pitch the furnace and make a permanent installation of a Mr. Heater Buddy (or some other brand) in the same area.

Wayne
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Tried various settings on the thermostat

Wayne,

Re above title;

Quote: I read the book and tried various settings on the thermostat in an attempt to achieve better run times and on-off functionality. Nothing seemed to help. Maybe a new 'stat is the answer, or at least part of the answer.
End quote

Here's a link to Bill's post, with .jpg, about setting the on-off temp spread so that temp swings aren't so weird.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=933

I'm fairly certain you already know this, but - just in case.

Denny_A
Old 08-28-2004, 08:00 PM   #3
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Thanks Denny,

I think I've read most of the stuff, and forgotton most of it, so I'll look at it again.

Now that we've changed formats I'm having problems going back to the old posts. When I try to call them up, I just get some wierd board heading and no post. Something else I haven't figured out.

While on that subject, how come all the messages that use the inch symbol (quotation marks) show up garbled? Is there some setting I should change?

and what happened to the member profile information? I tried to figure out where Bill lives so I could go to his house and park until he builds me some of those neat wire containers, but couldn't find out where to go.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Leon,

I guess so. Somebody else used the term in a post so I just used it when I couldn't remember ceramic. Whatever they should be called, mine are the little cube heaters that you normally see under some cold-blooded person's desk at the office. I can't believe how well they work in a TM. My total LP usage for a 17 day trip was about 1/2 bottle. Only the water heater, and I could have moved the switch and run it off shore power as well.

With respect to gas-burning equipment, I won't speculate for fear of being proven wrong, but I really do think that on some future trip we may actually use the cook top. I won't make any guarantees about the oven.

It doesn't look like it's ever been used and I can't foresee any in the future.

Wayne
Old 08-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-V_Driver
Thanks Denny,
-----------------snip-------------
Now that we've changed formats I'm having problems going back to the old posts. When I try to call them up, I just get some wierd board heading and no post. Something else I haven't figured out.
Click on Members list at the top. Click on G which lets you click on, andaccess, G_V Driver. Finally click on either Find all posts by G-V_Driver, or on Find all threads started by G-V_Driver.

Quote:
While on that subject, how come all the messages that use the inch symbol (quotation marks) show up garbled? Is there some setting I should change?
If I'm not mistaken, the problem involves the difference between "yaab" and vBulletin method of reading, converting quotation marks and other ascii symbols. Stuff authored on the new board displays properly. Also URLs fron "yabb posts don't work, since "/yabb/" in the URL is not recognised by vB!

Quote:
and what happened to the member profile information? I tried to figure out where Bill lives so I could go to his house and park until he builds me some of those neat wire containers, but couldn't find out where to go.
See first comment. Go to Member List, select until the member's profile is on the screen. You'll see an option to email or instant message the member. Bill's profile is: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/member.php?u=12

HTH - Denny
Old 09-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Cool Denny was right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Test post. I think the ASCII translation problem is still here for me.

Here is the inch/quote symbol - " - as in "inch"
Here is the ampersand symbol - & - as in Bill & Bob

I will delete this when I have seen how it looks.

Bill

HA! DENNY IS RIGHT - IT APPEARS TO WORK NOW. IS THIS SOMETHING NEW?
Ummmm... it worked fine in my post regarding "/yabb/" and ascii, etc. So I guess new to you (due to shirking duties whilst on 'oliday) but not so new to the rest of us.

Welcome back!

Denny