TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #21
mkiley

When I was researching travel trailers I stumbled into a couple posts about the pop-out beds of hybrids collapsing when the wood rotted. I might have been paranoid but I decided one of my criteria was no wood exposed to the outside. The TM beds are the metal underneath, and if that collapses with DW and me on it we probably need to hit the gym or something
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
Mckesh Mirrors
2005 Honda Pilot
mkiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Always make sure the beds are "locked in" before using them. The beds swivel up for your emergency exit, and too much weight on the back side without locking in might land you on the ground below.
You know, I've heard that story for years and years. And I just can't find any way to make it happen. I've lifted up the front edge of the bed - yes, it lifts, and that is the emergency exit. But the bottom of the bed is supported all the way to the far edge, and cannot drop.

Has anyone actually experienced this? Or is it urban legend?

I got so annoyed with the little red latch that I removed it. I will say, though, that it DOES have a function. But preventing you from falling out is not it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #23
Freedom

The little red latch serves another function in that someone can't use your "emergency exit" as an entrance when you're not there. If I don't latch the two on the front bed and get too far forward the bed will lift up, but I've never allowed it to get so far that it dumps me out - I always grabbed something to keep it from going all the way. It does make your heart beat faster! I've never had that happen on the back bed, but I usually fasten the latch when I put up the bathroom walls. On the front bed, I don't think it's "urban legend", but I don't want to be the one to prove it one way or another!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

OK, Jim, you correctly identified (and revealed!) the secret function of the little red latch. And I admit I've never owned a TM with a front bed, so maybe it happens there. But I can't make it happen on the rear bed of a 2720SL.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #25
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You know, I've heard that story for years and years. And I just can't find any way to make it happen. I've lifted up the front edge of the bed - yes, it lifts, and that is the emergency exit. But the bottom of the bed is supported all the way to the far edge, and cannot drop.

Has anyone actually experienced this? Or is it urban legend?

I got so annoyed with the little red latch that I removed it. I will say, though, that it DOES have a function. But preventing you from falling out is not it.

Bill
Bill, I hadn't heard about the bed tilt being an uban legend, but just by looking at it, it is a concern. I tend to be an overly cautious person.

So, out of curiosity, and not wanting to falsely contribute to a rumor, I just went out and opened up the TM. The bed swivel points on my 2003 model don't go all of the way to the back edge......they are about 15" from the edge......roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the total bed width, depending on the bed size. I then hooked my fingers over the bed trays (extended almost all of the way, except for finger width) from the outside, pulled down, and it definitely didn't take too much of my weight (190 lbs) to start either of those puppies to flip.

That said, I think an unhooked bed flipping you out would be rare occasion.....it has never happened to me, nor I have I ever read about it happening to anyone on this forum. And it sounds like the newer TMs like yours have taken the swivel points out to the edge. But I think it could still occur in an older TM if you rolled over to the back (or front) wall, and nobody else was in the bed with you. So for me, I use the hooks, and don't get on either bed before a double check to make sure they are engaged.

FYI, I was also concerned about those flimpsy poles holding the bed up in my previous pop-up.

Chap