TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
CORNFEDDOBY

Cool Kayak racks

I have been researching TT for some time now and I am very interested in in the TM. This is a great site and I have enjoyed reading the messages and learned a lot. Does anyone have any information on installing kayak racks on top of a TM. I called the factory and they said it can and has been done, but not from the factory. I am looking for an easier way to transport my sea kayaks (set of two- 13 ft/ 50 lbs.). I currently use a Yakima set up on top of my Landcruiser, but it a pain to get them up there even with two people. The thought of drilling holes into the roof of a new $30,000 TM makes me cringe. Any suggestions? Also, I live in Northeast Florida so if you know of a newer/used TM for sale, let me know. I like the 2720sl and 3124ks(big money) but mainly looking for a good deal. Thx for your time.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Freedom

There have been threads about putting solar panels on the TM without making any holes. Pieces of aluminum were glued onto the roof and then the panels attached to them. I don't see any reason that same strategy couldn't be used for attaching kayak racks. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t+solar+panels
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Default kayak racks

Keep kayaks on tow vehicle so you can take them to your launch point. Go to rackattack.com and check out the thule hullavator. They're kind of pricy but should be easier to load, unload. Watch the web site, they will be 20% off some time in the spring. I will get mine then.
jumpstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Freedom

You might also talk to Grill-n-go on this site. He's a kayaker and seems to have pretty sound advice.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Somewhere in the last 3 years I posted something on the topic.

My theory is that it is possible to create a rack out of light weight tubing that attaches to two points on the frame at the front and also to the rear hitch receiver, assuming you have one. There would be no weight on the TM roof. The rear hitch is limited to 100 pounds. The front mounting point would be limited by tongue weight.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the positive remarks on my posts.

My thinking is along the lines of Jumpstreets comments.
I decided to leave my kayaks (13.5 Ft. 50 Lbs ea. x 2) on the TVs, a Toyota Highlander o a Toyota Tundra.

If you transport the kayaks on top of your TM, you will need to get them off the roof before you set up. Unless you plan to put in right at your campsite you're back to loading the kayaks on your TV anyway.

the "rackwarehouse.com" offers a Thule (Roller Coaster $116.00) and a Yakima (Hully Rollers $72.00) options that allow you to roll your kayak onto the roof of your vehicle avoiding ever lifting 100% of your boat weight. They also offer a step that goes over your vehicle tire so that you can have better visibility when tying down your yaks.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
CORNFEDDOBY

Default Kayak Racks

Thx for the responses. I think the safe bet is to leave them on my tow vehicle. I like "grill-n-go" suggstion of the tire step. I will look into that. If anybody comes across some info on Kayak Racks on the TM. Let me know. Thx, I will be looking at some TMs this weekend.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Default looking for good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNFEDDOBY View Post
I have been researching TT for some time now and I am very interested in in the TM. This is a great site and I have enjoyed reading the messages and learned a lot. Does anyone have any information on installing kayak racks on top of a TM. I called the factory and they said it can and has been done, but not from the factory. I am looking for an easier way to transport my sea kayaks (set of two- 13 ft/ 50 lbs.). I currently use a Yakima set up on top of my Landcruiser, but it a pain to get them up there even with two people. The thought of drilling holes into the roof of a new $30,000 TM makes me cringe. Any suggestions? like Also, I live in Northeast Florida so if you know of a newer/used TM for sale, let me know. Ithe 2720sl and 3124ks(big money) but mainly looking for a good deal. Thx for your time.
Like you I live in NE Florida. Just watch the classified section on this site. Three years ago I found an 03 2720sl for 12k. Had to go to Atlanta to pick it , but it was worth the trip.