TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Question wheel/axle "upgrade" on the small ones (2619, 2720)

- - - Increase the Payload - - -
The 'load capacity' in the current flyer, for models 2720SL and 2720SD, is only 1210 lbs. But this is before adding heavy options like A/C and Awning. It's also before watering up, at 8lbs/gal. A 40 fresh water tank, which others have also recommended for dry camping, is over 300 lbs.

So, for 2619 and 2720, if you want to be able to load heavily, you might ask for the un-publicized factory option "upgrade my axle, wheels and tires to the one used in the 3023 and 3124 models". In 2006 models, this is now a difficult field upgrade (lots of cutting and re-welding), because the axles are now welded rather than bolted to the frame.

- - - Improve braking power, tire life - - -
In addition to allowing for more payload, the bigger wheels might have more braking power. (I'm not sure about this... but if the number and magnetic power of the components are the same, mounting them on a bigger radius makes them more effective.) And the load on the tires is much further below max, which might be good for tire life.

But the stiffness of the heavy axle will tend to shake your TM a lot harder, you need to reduce your tire cold PSI per Goodyear recommendations (tune to the loading) so that they perform with the proper amount of "spring".

- - - Improve Ground Clearance - - -
This upgrade is also helpful for ground clearance and approach angle (as in, steep curbs into gas stations, you don't want to drag your TM bumper on the ground.) Although the bigger wheel and tire only add 0.8 inches, the total increase in ground clearance is about 2-1/2 inches- the bigger axle adds a lot.

Still, if you want just ground clearance and aren't concerned about the load capacity, the "lift kit" is a much cheaper way to get it. If you're really roughing it, consider both-- although you might need to consistently use
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Harry Womack

Default Pizeo light on stove/oven

I talked to the stove/oven factory and they do not have a kit to add pizeo to the original stove/oven.
I am going to see what parts it will take to change out and add all burners and oven with pizeo light.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
genesc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Womack
I talked to the stove/oven factory and they do not have a kit to add pizeo to the original stove/oven.
I am going to see what parts it will take to change out and add all burners and oven with pizeo light.
Please keep us informed about what is involved.

genesc
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Freedom

In addition to allowing for more payload, the bigger wheels might have more braking power. (I'm not sure about this... but if the number and magnetic power of the components are the same, mounting them on a bigger radius makes them more effective.)

If all the components of the brake system are the same, the bigger tires would give you LESS braking due to the larger radius of the tire. (Leverage is greater the larger the radius.) The difference would probably not be noticeable, but the larger the tire, the harder the brakes have to work to stop it. Ask some of the guys that put huge tires on their trucks and then they can't stop as easily as before - then they have to get bigger brakes or put on disk brakes. In our state, Washington, if you put the big tires on and get in a wreck, you're at fault even if you're in the right because the cops assume that if you hadn't modified your truck you could have avoided the wreck. A friend of my son's found that out the hard way - got blamed and had to pay for somebody's car that ran into him.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #15
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
If all the components of the brake system are the same, the bigger tires would give you LESS braking due to the larger radius of the tire.
You are 100% correct about this-- IF the tire radius increases while the brake shoe radius stays the same (as in, putting on tires which are too big). The tire has more rotational energy.

But that doesn't happen in this case: The bigger tire comes with a 15" wheel, which takes a larger brake shoe. The DXQ "3500" electric brakes are named by Dexter as "10x2-1/4", and the DXQ "5200" brakes are named as "12x2". Apparently the brake shoe radius goes up about the same as the tire radius, maybe even a bit more. And it's not just the radius giving you more leverage, it also creates a bit more surface area: in spite of being 1/4 inch skinnier, 3.14*12*2 is about 5 square inches more than 3.14*10*2.25.

Having looked at the parts list, I suspect that the magnet is also more powerful (it's got a different part number). For whatever reason(s) apply, the little axle has brakes rated as "3500 lbs", and the big axle has 'em rated as "5200". `I think that means the big axle wins, though probably NOT for the reason I guessed all by itself. (The magnet is probably a factor too, maybe a bigger factor).

An assumption here is that TM uses the lower-end DXQ brakes (there are more powerful and expensive types available, but I don't think we've got 'em.)
Old 05-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
Freedom

Absolutely! The caveat of my first statement was, "If all the components of the brake system are the same." If the drum radius and/or width of the shoe change, braking will also change since the area of the friction pad determines the braking ability, but the radius of the drum in relation to the radius of the tire also affects that ability. Maybe I mis-understood your first statement where you said,"mounting them on a bigger radius makes them more effective." You had only talked about the tire size and that you were "not sure about this" In addition to allowing for more payload, the bigger wheels might have more braking power. (I'm not sure about this... but if the number and magnetic power of the components are the same, mounting them on a bigger radius makes them more effective.) I'm not trying to be argumentative, and it appears from your last post that we are in total agreement!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #17
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile yes, complete agreement

I had been thinking about the "wheel", rather than the tire. But, before you inspired me to look at the Dexter products pdf's, it was a mere guess... and now we know for sure. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
radiojon

Default Satellite Dish

I'd like to know more about the "Satellite Dish" option. Does anyone have any info on what kind it is, where it mounts, and how it's set up?

- Mark