TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
jjneff

Default Something seems Fishy

My wife and I have our hearts set on a TM 2000 3124KS, Mr X is selling one and we have been trying to get in touch with him by phone for at least one week. I did some research and found a post by Mr.X on how unhappy they were with their TM because it took four people to close and latch it and nothing they tried seemed to work. I finally talked to him on the phone and asked if they had ever had any trouble opening or closing the Trailer. He stated never had a problem opening and closing it. I then asked about the water tank and then said well on the forum you said you had a problem and were very unhappy. He stated that it was just a simple adjustment and everything is fine now. What would you think?? I need to make a wise decision
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
jlh29303

Default Buying The TM?

Did you get my email this am? I sent it to the address listed in your profile. I just wanted to let you know my TM was over in your neck of the woods if you wanted to take a look at it.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjneff
My wife and I have our hearts set on a TM 2000 3124KS, Mr X is selling one and we have been trying to get in touch with him by phone for at least one week. I did some research and found a post by Mr.X on how unhappy they were with their TM because it took four people to close and latch it and nothing they tried seemed to work. I finally talked to him on the phone and asked if they had ever had any trouble opening or closing the Trailer. He stated never had a problem opening and closing it. I then asked about the water tank and then said well on the forum you said you had a problem and were very unhappy. He stated that it was just a simple adjustment and everything is fine now. What would you think?? I need to make a wise decision
I'm a little confused. First he has a problem closing, then he doesn't? First he has a problem with the water tank, then he doesn't?

There a few (VERY few) chronic complainers on this group. They would rather complain, and cast aspersions and blame on the factory, and cry "Oh poor me!", than describe the problem and ask for comments and suggestions. Sounds like your Mr. X is one of those.

If the unit is hard to close, it means the torsion bars are misadjusted. The torsion bars counterbalance the weight of the shells - there are four bars on each shell - and when they are properly adjusted, the shells will just glide open and closed. Denny_A is our resident guru in this area. There have been threads on this board about how to adjust them, such as
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=554
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2243
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=600
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=418
You might or might not feel comfortable adjusting them yourself, but any dealer can do it in a flash. Mr X should have done that, instead of whining and complaining.

The water tank problem is pretty non-specific - but there isn't much that can go wrong with a water tank.

Dunno if this helps - but it doesn't sound as if you are buying into a major problem with either of these.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Senorsedona

Thumbs up Take a look.

If the price was right I'd go take a look at it. If there is no problem opening & closing etc. BUY it. Most things on the TM are easily fixed, plus you will probably want to make modifications. Buy it, have fun in it and enjoy.

Join the party.

Good luck................

Jack
Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
jjneff

Default Ok Facts here

Nothing wrong with the water tank! Just one post on how they had tried everything and nothing worked as far as getting the camper to close right. the price 12,500.00 year 2000 3124KS Included, screen room, power mover jack, hoses, sewer pipe, 2"ball hitch Is it worth a risk??
Old 09-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default I may have.....

.......responded to Mr. X in the following thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...0989#post20989

Reply #9. Then again; maybe not. Offered to help, but no response.

Denny_A
Old 09-30-2005, 12:57 AM   #7
BrigCA61

Default Try before you buy....

Are you going to see the TM before you actually comit to buy it? I hope you do and are not traveling many miles to see it. Just have them open and close it so you can see for yourself if it is still a problem. Same with the water tank, just inspect it. If you are commiting to buy before you actually see it, have him explain how it was repaired and explain your concern. He should understand and give you a reasonable explanation (such as adjustment of the torsion bars). I think you should be able to assertain weather or not he is trying to pull a fast one off on you.

By the way, we too had some problems closing ours (getting it to latch) until we discovered that our trailer wasn't level on the driveway as we were shutting it down for towing. Once we kept it level, it wasn't a problem anymore. So, it's not uncommon to have issues like this.

Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
jjneff

Default I feel Bad

I spoke to Mr. X on the phone at length finally, He is very nice on the phone and he said that he adjusted the torsion arms and that it is not a problem anymore, it seemed logical what he did. I do have to drive about 4hrs to meet him and get the trailer, he said that he would go over everything with us and make sure we knew how to open and close it ourselves. I do want to bring the money with me so that I can inspect before I pay. I hope it works out. I will keep you posted. The camper is in great shape inside and out. It has new spare, new battery, screen room, all hook-up lines, stabalizer jacks with a drill bit to fit them to make it easier, micorwave, a seperate jack to move the trailer in tight spots, hitch, leveling blocks, extra cabnet, air, awning. Sounds good I hope it isn't to good to be true!! Thanks for the replies as it helps me think things through, I need to trust more before I judge.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
Queeniereads

If you have put extra padding on the bed like we did, it does take the two of us to lock down the latches. One pushes down the top and the other throws the latch. Other than that, I (a 59 year old female ) can open and shut the whole thing by myself. I would suggest you look at some TMs at a dealer that allows you to open and shut the thing your self to see how it is supposed to work. I would also suggest you ask the dealer nearest where this person lives whether they have a history on that trailer with either the locking down or the water heater. We love the ease of our TM and, as I said, I can do it by myself if need be. If I were stuck alone and had to lock it down, I would remove the memory foam and bedpad from the bed. Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 09-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
BobRederick

Judi
I have found that if I push down on the top it squeezes the memory foam. Hold it for a maybe 10 seconds, then go down and flip the latch. The memory of the foam will hold it for that amount of time.