TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Bigbit

Default Is there anyone here happy with their Elkmont?

The great majority of posts on this forum seem to involve frustration being vented over the owner's Elkmont experience, even to the point of extreme anger, finger-pointing and TM-bashing.

We've had our Elkmont for about 2 1/2 months now, and have been out on 5 camping excursions with it. We had a few minor fit/finish issues on the first trip, the most serious being a leak from the inside of the outside shower unit. These issues were quickly resolved by our dealer, and we have no further issues to report.

The one item that I do fear is the roof. Being in Southern CA, we won't see rain until October, probably. So there's still the possibility that there are problems there but I just don't know it yet.

Have we just been lucky? Should we be waiting for the other shoe to drop? Or are the other posts I have read more the exception than the rule?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Beak12

Default Elkmont

We too are SC folks and are vary happy with our 24'(previous owners of a 2720SL but got to old to do the set up). But as you stated we on't get much rain. However we are on a 3 month trip and west of Chicago we had a 5" rain and had water running down the wall just above the door. Our distinaton is NJ and so we stopped at Mentor RV and had them address the problem. We pick it up this Sat (28) so we will see. We just need more rain. LOL
Old 08-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We have had our new 2011 Elkmont 26 since the middle of May, and we are very happy with it except for a couple things the dealer is fixing now. As I have stated in other threads, the dealer is replacing the 2 bedroom windows because they will leak when we get a real hard rainstorm. It's not the window seal(butol tape), but it is the window itself. The 2 windows were defective from the manufacturer. You can't blame TM for this. All of the other windows are ok.

Also, they had to put new rubber seals on the 2 curb side outside storage doors. Once again, it was not TM's fault. The manufacturer of the door placed the seal correctly on 3 sides ok, but on the hinge side they really lost it. They put the seal way up on the side of the hinge instead of attaching it to the lip where it belonged. Once again, not TM's fault.

I developed a slow drip under the bath tub. The one fitting is leaking really slow.

Also, just before I took the trailer down to Bryant's, we had some real bad rainy days. I developed a leak over the door up by the molding. I called Ed at the factory, and he is having Bryants go over all of the seals on the roof just to play it safe. They are using a new kind of silicone. Per Ed, it seems that the manufacturer of the silicone must of changed the formula, and it isn't sticking real well to the seams. Now with the new kind they are using, we should not have the problems.

Other than this, we love the Elkmont. The quality and fit were really excellent. The quality of materials and fixtures and appliances are top notch. We had several changes done when they made our Elkmont, and we were very happy with them. We had a mirror added to the bathroom door. They added another shelf door in the bathroom. The bathroom, and the kitchen/living area is all done in the decorative wall board. We had the magazine rack added to the back of the side dinette. It's the one they use in the regular TrailManor. Instead of the wood like flooring that they use, we had the linoleum that is used in the bathroom put in the kitchen/living room area. It really makes it look richer.

In the bedroom, they added the decorative wall board behind the bed board. Dresses it up nice.

I don't think that this is too bad since most of the problems were because of the manufacturer of the products used and not TM due to poor workmanship. Sure, it seems there is this problem with a leaky roof, but I think that TrailManor knows that they have this problem and are trying to fix it so other owners won't have any problems in the future.

We got a real good price when we bought our new unit. It sure was a lot cheaper than buying another 3326King. Plus we love the large refrig, full screen door, and the large bathroom across the back of the Elkmont. The biggest plus is being able to get into the refrig when you stop at a rest area. Also, you can use the toilet there instead of the rest area toilets. It tows just as easy as my 3326King, and the gas mileage is only 1 to 2 miles less. I can't complain about that

If they ever made a larger Elkmont with bunk beds along with our same floor plan, we wouldn't be afraid to buy another one. TrailManor (ED Lytle) and Bryants Rv have been very good about any repairs. I think the best thing was when Ed suggested that they go over all of the roof seals with the new silicone. I think that this fact shows that they really want to get this problem solved and move on with a good trailer to sell.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
The great majority of posts on this forum seem to involve frustration being vented over the owner's Elkmont experience, even to the point of extreme anger, finger-pointing and TM-bashing.

We've had our Elkmont for about 2 1/2 months now, and have been out on 5 camping excursions with it. We had a few minor fit/finish issues on the first trip, the most serious being a leak from the inside of the outside shower unit. These issues were quickly resolved by our dealer, and we have no further issues to report.

The one item that I do fear is the roof. Being in Southern CA, we won't see rain until October, probably. So there's still the possibility that there are problems there but I just don't know it yet.

Have we just been lucky? Should we be waiting for the other shoe to drop? Or are the other posts I have read more the exception than the rule?
We got our Elkmont 24 back after a full month and $ 5000.00 worth of repairs, and left on a trip thinking that all of this would finally be behind us. Well we don’t see too much rain here in southern Arizona, but it is Monsoon time, and we got caught in a good rain storm. Water was literally cascading down the wall in the bedroom area, from the emergency exit, so it will have to go back for more repairs.

Are we happy? I don’t think so. And as far as “bashing” TM is concerned, if you write a certified letter to the CEO of TM and never receive an answer, that has a tendency to rub me the wrong way. So yes, after more than 11 months of arguing with TM over problems, I am now looking at a different approach to resolving these discrepancies. It should not be too much to ask for an answer to a letter.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Are we happy? I don’t think so. And as far as “bashing” TM is concerned, if you write a certified letter to the CEO of TM and never receive an answer, that has a tendency to rub me the wrong way. So yes, after more than 11 months of arguing with TM over problems, I am now looking at a different approach to resolving these discrepancies. It should not be too much to ask for an answer to a letter.
I have no problem with someone bashing a company, if they deserve to be bashed. My comment was not intended to be in defense of Trailmanor.

I am concerned by the fact that in the 3 days since I posted this question, I've only received two positive endorsements, each one with caveats admitting initial problems. Certainly not a positive reflection on the company and product...

BTW, I noted that Bob Strong came to TM's defense, stating that the defects were not their fault, but the fault of the subsupplier. While I understand the sentiment, it is up to TM to pick subsuppliers and products that will perform satisfactorily for the intended use, and to perform incoming inspections and to test the finished units to prevent shipping of defective components. The onus is on TM to deliver a functional finished product.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
it is up to TM to pick subsuppliers and products that will perform satisfactorily for the intended use, and to perform incoming inspections and to test the finished units to prevent shipping of defective components. The onus is on TM to deliver a functional finished product.
I don't think any company can scapegoat a supplier for very long before their brand suffers significantly. Imagine an automaker trying to blame poor QA on a supplier of a head gasket, for example, as the cause of widespread premature engine failures. Sure, it may be the supplier's fault, but from the customer's perspective, who caused the problem is irrelevant. If I already own the car, I am going to pursue my remedy through the car manufacturer. And if I don't already own one, I simply will avoid buying that car, and if it continues to happen, especially on other models, I will avoid the brand altogether.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
kenngeri2720

I was not happy with my Elkmont to the point I have traded it in on a different brand, and after 6 months and many camping trips both dry and full hookup not one problem. I must say that my 2720 had very few problems and the bifold by far is their best product.
Here is list of just a few problems I had with the Elkmont. The last one with the frame caused the most concern for me. I spent more time working on this thing than I did camping.

2009 Elkmont Defects

• Fresh water tank would not drain and vent hose not connected (cause plastic shaving plugging out drain)
1. Pulled tank and flushed out shavings
• Cover over furnace just setting there not screwed down , screws were there.
1. Screwed cover in place
• 10 gauge wires by furnace, wire nuts had fallen off
1. Reinstalled twist nuts
• Many or most wires above water heater had been smashed and insulation cut exposing wires. At least 12 wires.
1. Put tape over exposed wires (TEMP FIX)
• Water heater strap only fasten on one side
1. Installed lag bolt to wood frame
• Toilet water level gauge will not go below charge
1. Still not FIXED
• Refrigerator temp clip missing ( found broken in the drip pan below cooling fins)
1. Need new Clip
• Shower wan bracket falling off of shower wall screw holes stripped
1. Replaced with larger screws and glue.
• Outside TV cable box loose (screws stripped)
1. Still not FIXED
• Metal strip that the rear bumper cover sets on is cut to short.
1. Temp fix (Needs new piece)
•C02 / Propane detector keeps going off when using the HWH on gas, strong propane smell when you open inside access door to HWH (sealant around gas pipe not fully sealed small area on the bottom not sealed) Also goes off when using furnace and when not using anything at all.
• Water leak around rear window.
1. Reapplied sealant.
• Tongue “A” frame continues to bend upward getting worst with each use.
1. Took into dealer for repairs, they and TM knew about it but failed to notify customer of this dangers problem. Repair done by dealer by welding a cross member behind “A” frame.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
fpc1221

Default Yes i am happy with my Elkmont

Hope i am not too late posting to this thread . I Purchased a 2010 Elkmont Last month . Since then we have made 3 runs to the Coast of South Carolina Myrtle Beach area . We converted from a Rockwood 2560g popup camper to the Trailmanor One of the biggest selling points of course was the light weight of the fully self contained camper not sure if the printed weights are right or wrong but it pulls behind my GMC Canyon just fine .Have spent 20 days camping in it and the ony thing i have found wrong was the wiring on the stereo which I corrected myself. ac refrigerator shower electrical gas all seem to work just fine So yes I am Happy with my elkmont new to the forum hope yall dont mind me sticking my 2 cents in .
Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
mkayers

We got our 2009 Elkmont in Sept. of last year. I feel fortunate that we haven't had any troubles at all with it so far (now I jinxed myself!).
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
brulaz

Despite our problems with roof leaks, and other stuff, we do love it and have been traveling with it a lot. From coast to coast literally. We're currently passing through British Columbia. 2-3 months ago we were in Nova Scotia. We picked up the trailer in Texas.

Latest problem is a broken brake line, which I'll post elsewhare.