TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
Pat Sullivan

Default Elkmont - after market exterior storage

Does anyone have experience adding exterior storage between the coach and propane tanks?

We need extra room, I'm considering like a cargo rack or a truck storage box.

I'd love to hear what others have done.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
brulaz

Haven't done anything yet, but am thinking about some sort of custom bike mounting.

Some of the early models had a longer frame (from one of the big fold down models) and came with a storage platform there.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Don't know if this will work with the Elkmont, but some folks here in Colo have a 3124 (same frame as the Elkmont 24) with a metal grill welded to the frame between the tanks and the body. It provides them storage for wooden blocks and even some firewood.

Just a thought.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
voyager2

We had a battery tray welded behind the propane tanks to hold two 6v. golf cart batteries. No problems with this arrangement so far except we can't access the front storage area thru the outside door. We never used it so it has not been a problem for us. Depending on what you want to store there, you may want to consider what it will do to tongue weight. We did have to add a wdh due to increased tongue weight.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
Pat Sullivan

Default Thanks for the exterior cargo replies

We may convert a cargo tray that slides into a 2" hitch. We'll just remove the hitch part. I have a guy that will punch holes in the frame and mount the rack bolted. We'll see.
Appreciate the responses.....
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
madjan

Default great idea

i was toying with putting my hitch hauler on my bike rack receiver to haul firewood.. but was concerned with the weight.. they rack behind the tanks will be perfect! and i can still carry my bikes in the back. my trailer has side doors for the storage access so there will be no doors being blocked.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Trekker

Default After market storage

I bought my Elkmont from Custom RV. They added two customized extra storage options for me. The first is a metal shelf with low sides that is welded to the tongue between the power jack and the Elkmont body. The second is a customized box (Rubbermaid) that fits the rear hitch. I expecially find this very useful for storage of all the lightweight plastic accessories - plastic blocks, wheel stops, etc. You need to be careful to observe TM's warning that the total weight of the rear cargo carrier (along with the contents) should not exceed 100 lbs.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Bigbit

I'm thinking about getting a plastic CONTICO SUV Tuff Bin/Utility box - available at Lowe's for $37 - and mounting it on the tongue, behind the two propane tanks. Got the idea from a guy I know who did the same for a Forest River R-Pod. I still need to make measurements to make sure it will fit.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Bigbit

I added the Contico storage box behind the propane tanks on the Elkmont. It fits well and is perfect for storing my towing stuff - WDH, spring bars, stabilizer bar, and CIPA towing mirrors. It keeps this messy, greasy stuff out of the front storage bin.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
I added the Contico storage box behind the propane tanks on the Elkmont. It fits well and is perfect for storing my towing stuff - WDH, spring bars, stabilizer bar, and CIPA towing mirrors. It keeps this messy, greasy stuff out of the front storage bin.
I hope that Bruaz is reading this thread.........