TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Elkmont Gas Mileage with '06 Tundra

I think this is probably worse case since we were driving into a nasty head wind coming west across Kansas, I figured gas at $3.90 per gallon.

- I would estimate that the Elkmont dropped MPG by approx 2 mpg compared to towing a TM2619
- Compared to NOT towing anything, the Tundra used 3.3 more gallons per 100 miles towing the Elkmont.
- The Tundra got 17 mpg at 75 mph and 19.8 mpg at 63 mph, towing nothing.
- I averaged 11.1 mpg over 665 miles towing the Elkmont. The worse I got was 9.8 and the best was 12.2 mpg. It would be rare to hit 14 mpg towing the 2619 TM. On a trip to Oregon, we averaged 13 mpg with the 2619, but I was able to maintain higher speeds.

I'd be interested in how that compares to other trucks? The Tundra is very comfortable for long trips, but I think the 4.7L engine is a bit small and underpowered for the truck. It works a bit hard at times.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I would agree that the 4.7L is underpowered. I have a earlier edition also with the 4.7 and pull a 3124KB. Pulled it 3000 miles this past winter to AZ and back to TX. Averaged less than 14 mpg with my speed at between 60-62MPH. Any more MPH and my MPG dropped quickly. Combination of elevation change all the way there. I wil admit, I had a 650lb motorcycle in the truck bed and two weeks of camping gear.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Scott O

When towing our 2720 with an '05 Tacoma, our mileage is almost always a tad over 16. Our record occurred on a 75 end-of-trip drive home last weekend. Basically flat with no wind...19.9! Yowza!!! Love our Tacoma! And as a bonus, while in Anza Borrego State Park in the SoCal desert, was able to unhook and go on one of the most amazingly awful jeep roads I have ever imagined...Coyote Canyon, which in parts was nothing more than a rock/boulder crawl. And as I found out later, rated as an expert only drive. Note to self...read the guide book first!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Redhawk

Yeah don't get me wrong, we love the Tundra, and I guess that's why Toyota put that honkin' 5.7 in the newer Tundras. I had planned on a new Tacoma, but it was not suited to carrying the ATV and pulling the TM at the same time. Overload.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
brulaz

My average with the F150 Ecoboost and Elkmont (with 2 kayaks on top) over 6565 mi is 12.2 mpgUS. Our previous Tacoma's mpgUS was about the same (over maybe 12,000 mi). I rarely exceed 60-65mph when towing.

Our absolute worst mileage was two consecutive fill-ups one day when fighting headwinds in Manitoba. We averaged 9.25 mpgUS on that day, and the poor Tacoma just struggled, even though I dropped our speed down to ~50-55mph.

The Rockies were nothing compared to the Prairie headwinds. Unfortunately on our way back east through the US prairies, there was little prairie tailwind.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I think this is probably worse case since we were driving into a nasty head wind coming west across Kansas, I figured gas at $3.90 per gallon.

- I would estimate that the Elkmont dropped MPG by approx 2 mpg compared to towing a TM2619
- Compared to NOT towing anything, the Tundra used 3.3 more gallons per 100 miles towing the Elkmont.
- The Tundra got 17 mpg at 75 mph and 19.8 mpg at 63 mph, towing nothing.
- I averaged 11.1 mpg over 665 miles towing the Elkmont. The worse I got was 9.8 and the best was 12.2 mpg. It would be rare to hit 14 mpg towing the 2619 TM. On a trip to Oregon, we averaged 13 mpg with the 2619, but I was able to maintain higher speeds.

I'd be interested in how that compares to other trucks? The Tundra is very comfortable for long trips, but I think the 4.7L engine is a bit small and underpowered for the truck. It works a bit hard at times.
When I bought my 2010 F-150 4.6 3 valve, I was a little worried that I would end up with an inadequate engine for towing. I wanted a 5.4 but I was buying a clearance truck at the end of the year and couldn't find one. So, I went with the 4.6.

When it had about 500 miles on it I wanted to check the optimum gas milage, figuring it would improve a little as the engine loosened up. So I filled up and drove a 90 mile loop from OC out to Riverside and back on two different freeways, the 60 and the 91. I drove it at 55mph on cruise control, flat terrain. The truck's computer told me we were getting 25 mpg! This in a 5000 lb. truck! When I am unhooked on trips, I get around 20 touring the countryside at highway speeds, a combination of hills, mountains, and flats. It varies according to speed and terrain.

The real issue for a TV is, of course, towing ability and towing mileage.
Naturally, city driving is gets me much worse mileage, but the real test is when the TM is hooked on. Our low seems to be in stop and go freeway traffic and is in the 14's. On a lot of runs like LA to San Jose or OC to Tucson we get 16.8, sometimes 17. Got 17 once driving from San Jose to Reno over a 7000 foot pass. Out in eastern AZ and then NM a couple of weeks ago we got 18-19mpg on the interstates. This is with cruise control on driving at about 58-60 mph.

We all know what standard trailers do to gas mileage. The TM is a dream to tow. I don't really worry about the tires because I check pressures, don't drive very fast, and am going to replace them at 3 years. My 3023 has weighed in at a few pounds under 4000 with food/water/clothes in it. We also carry quite a bit of tools, wood, jacks, camping gear in the bed of the truck. This model, btw, comes with 15" rims.

I attribute my gas mileage to three factors:

1. TM's excellent design combining light weight and low profile.
2. A very conservative driving style.
3. Modern technology in the TV. Variable valve timing, a big on-board computer, 6 speed tranny, cruise control, fuel injection... it doesn't even have a cable from the accellerator to the motor. It has a sensor and the computer decides on appropriate amount of gas. I have never felt even a little bit down on power with that 4000 lb TM back there.

I am now pushing 32,000 miles on the TV with 0 maintenence issues. Can anyone say, "happy camper"?

BTW, I do not work for either Ford or TM.

Love my TM.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
PopBeavers

My GMC, empty, weighs 6,100 pounds.

Loaded with motorcycles etc. I get a little over 10 mpg towing heavy. I have somewhere around 11,500 pounds rolling down the road.

It seems reasonable to me that any truck smaller than mine, carrying less cargo than me, should get noticeably better mileage than me. At least 15.

I estimate that the difference between towing fully loaded and driving empty is about 2 to 3 mpg. This is towing a TM. If I was towing an elkmont it may be a bit worse.