TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #51
Beak12

S far this new Elkmont is doing fine. We did have 3 problems when we first picked it up. The power jacks did not work (they did at custom rv lol) and the hot water heater only worked on Elec. And the power tongue only worked the first time we used it. But today (4-19-10) after 3 weeks of owning and camping all most every weekend. Things are working as advertised. We had rain in San Diego last night and found no leaks this morning. We did take it back to Custom RV to get work done on the water heater. It took the better part of 3 hrs to take different things apart and get to the problem. So as of today I'm a happy camper with my new Elkmont.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #52
cochise

Default Gawr

Ok.. I may sound stupid, but here is the definition I got:

"The GAWR is the maximum weight each axle is designed to carry safely. It includes the entire weight of the vehicle, occupants, cargo, trailer tongue weight and so forth, but now distributed between front and rear axles".

TM states that the Elkmont has a GAWR of 3619 lbs. The manufacturer states that the MAX capacity of the axle is 3500 lbs.

The GVWR is defined as: "It’s how much weight a vehicle is designed to carry. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories. The GVWR is a safety standard used to prevent overloading".

The GVWR is stated by TM as 4230 lbs, which I basically don't have a problem with.

My problem is: How can the stated GVWR be 119 lbs OVER what the axle manufacturer rates the axle at, which is MAX 3500 lbs?
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #53
brulaz

The difference is the wheels and tires and that part of the axle that doesn't weigh on the bearings.

You put the trailer axle on a scale, you are weighing the wheels and tires PLUS the rest of the trailer that weighs on the axle bearings.

You add the tongue weight to that and you have the total weight of your trailer which should be less than the GVWR
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #54
efelker

I've followed this thread - and the others about some of the early problems (perhaps) with the Elkmont (especially leaks). I'm a big fan of Trailmanor - in fact many of the owners on this forum are using the checklists I compiled -- but color me a curmudgeon for feeling that if I'm going to pay $30K for an Elkmont why should I be climbing all over a ladder replacing all the roof caulk so the unit doesn't leak? If I wanted leaks - I'd stay in a tent, and not spend $30K of my hard earned money.

I'm still a fan, and think TM makes one of the finest products out there for the camper -- but I sure hope the factory has licked the leak problem - if there really was one - because the Elkmont is the one my wife wants - and after more than 8 years of looking we are finally ready to buy.

Ed
Old 08-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #55
brulaz

Believe me, there is, hopefully was, a leak problem. Do not put a new Elkmont into storage unless you can inspect it when it rains.

Also, in our case, more leaks occurred after usage. More of the caulk pulled away from those plastic strips with time and usage.

I think, fingers crossed, that we now have the problem licked. Most of the old caulk is gone.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #56
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Ok.. I may sound stupid, but here is the definition I got:

"The GAWR is the maximum weight each axle is designed to carry safely. It includes the entire weight of the vehicle, occupants, cargo, trailer tongue weight and so forth, but now distributed between front and rear axles".

TM states that the Elkmont has a GAWR of 3619 lbs. The manufacturer states that the MAX capacity of the axle is 3500 lbs.

The GVWR is defined as: "It’s how much weight a vehicle is designed to carry. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories. The GVWR is a safety standard used to prevent overloading".

The GVWR is stated by TM as 4230 lbs, which I basically don't have a problem with.

My problem is: How can the stated GVWR be 119 lbs OVER what the axle manufacturer rates the axle at, which is MAX 3500 lbs?
As explained previously, the axle does not "Carry" the axle, tires & wheels.

Think of it this way........If a Joe can lift 200# of weight above his head. It is said, "Joe can lift 200#"........ That does not include Joe's weight.....We'll just call the axle, tires & wheels "Joe"....
Old 08-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #57
Bigbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Believe me, there is, hopefully was, a leak problem. Do not put a new Elkmont into storage unless you can inspect it when it rains.

Also, in our case, more leaks occurred after usage. More of the caulk pulled away from those plastic strips with time and usage.

I think, fingers crossed, that we now have the problem licked. Most of the old caulk is gone.
Brulaz,

Have you considered using eternabond on the roof seams of the Elkmont?

I just got my Elkmont in June, and living in Southern CA, don't have to worry about rain until the fall. I am considering covering all seams on the roof with eternabond before the winter rains come here, and I am curious if anyone else has tried this repair approach with the Elkmont?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #58
brulaz

I have indeed thought of Eternabond. If this new caulk I've put in fails, I'll give it a try.

What I'd probably do is rip off all those little plastic strips and cover the seams in the trailer's Al skin directly with wider stripe of eternabond.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by efelker View Post
I've followed this thread - and the others about some of the early problems (perhaps) with the Elkmont (especially leaks). I'm a big fan of Trailmanor - in fact many of the owners on this forum are using the checklists I compiled -- but color me a curmudgeon for feeling that if I'm going to pay $30K for an Elkmont why should I be climbing all over a ladder replacing all the roof caulk so the unit doesn't leak? If I wanted leaks - I'd stay in a tent, and not spend $30K of my hard earned money.

I'm still a fan, and think TM makes one of the finest products out there for the camper -- but I sure hope the factory has licked the leak problem - if there really was one - because the Elkmont is the one my wife wants - and after more than 8 years of looking we are finally ready to buy.

Ed
Good answer! One thing however---if TM makes one of the finest products out there, I am sure glad that I didn't go for one of the other. My Elkmont 24, purchased in September 2009 from Texas RV Center in Cleburne TX, just came back after a month at an RV place in Tucson to have a long list of problems fixed, among others the replacement of the furnace to one that works and is correctly installed. Brulaz knows what I am talking about. This is only the third time it is in the shop and the total cost to TM is $ 5638.20 plus the cost of the new furnace, whatever Suburban charged them. The repairs were a 22 points list, including corrections of several code violations, wiring problems, brake problems, kinked gas lime unsecured LP gas regulator, leaks in the bath room, de-lamination on both lower sides of the unit, and just super sloppy workmanship.

So please bear with me if I am not impressed.

To Brulaz: Since you are doing this yourself, perhaps it would help to use a #400 wet sand paper and sand along the seams before sealing them.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #60
brulaz

Heh. I just hope that those purchasing new Elkmonts will benefit from the efforts of us early adopters. I think the detailed problem report I sent Trailmanor was 4 pages long; and obviously Cochise has been busy.