TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
Magdefrau

Default storm and Trail Manors

Oh no not this guy.......................

Hey wind and storms are scary.

One TM owner told a story that because he had left the TM hooked to his TV his family weathered a strong late night storm. The pop ups at the park
that had unhooked were turned over or tipped on their side.

This summer on a trip to California we saw many dust devils. They are very interesting to watch. Mini tornatoes I suppose. In Gallope NM I was the one, Yes it was me, I time it so we drove into a Dust Devil. The Dodge Carvan hooked to the 3023 TM. Everyone else stopped to wait. I gave out a yell and we charge through. My wife laughed as she tried to take pictures.
For a moment I couldnot see....I let off of the gas. As it cleared a quater second later. Paper and weeds had filled the air as well as dust. The van sway or pushed a bit. It was not a rock or tip. Just a buffit of wind. It wasn't that big of a deal. If it had been the biggest dust devil I do not knowwhat might had happen. By the end of the trip come back through this dust devil area I was able to miss a direct incounter. Which is best.

It is a trueism that thetmwhile closed will not catch as much wind as the fixed hard sided RVs. If I was in my TM watching News that told of approaching storms. I would fold down the TM, Hook to the TV and wait it out like that. If tornatoes were forcasted I would leave theTVto seekaapprovedstormshelter. It will happen .....as we go all the time with the TM.

Twice on the move we were in heavy rain. Understand your TV will not get as good of road traction as in dry condition. Warning!!!! this is a test question. Somonewillnotstopsoon enough in heavy rain, don't let it be you. You will survive a dust devil easier. And always chock your TM before disconnect.

we will go on a short early fall outing this week end. The TM is ready to go.
My wife has a doc visit monday. Life is short. Most have to work their fingers to the bone. But sometime in the past my great great grand parents came to the United States in hope of a better life.....in real life it is most likly me who the better life. Camping out inthe parks both state andfederal is a real freedom. We are blessed. Thanks GrandDad.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #12
grakin

I'm used to wind - I live in a very windy part of the country, the southeast part of Wyoming. I camp in the area as well.

I've camped in 60+ MPH gusts (yes, really), without a problem with the TM. The TM stayed on the ground fine, although the beds shook a bit. But that's to be expected in that type of wind. If I have a choice, I park so that the wind hits the front of the TM (so it has less force on the TM and so that the door doesn't get ripped out of my hands when opening it - I've broken two car doors out here when wind caught them unexpectedly). But I don't worry about this too much - if my ideal spot isn't situated that way, that's okay, I'll take it anyhow.

Now if you have a small tornado or very large dust devil, I don't know if much is going to help you - a traditional travel trailer is going to end up on it's side too. That's why code requires mobile homes to be strapped down in most places. If it can flip a mobile home, it certainly can flip a small travel trailer!

Where the TM shines is towing through strong winds - I've towed with 50+ MPH crosswinds, no problem. Sure you feel those winds, but the TM tracks well. I wouldn't have wanted to have a full height travel trailer behind me in some of that wind.

If there is a tornado warning or something, I'll make sure that I'm close to a sturdy building when I'm camping. I probably wouldn't bother putting the TM down - I figure if a tornado hits, it doesn't matter whether or not it was expanded, it's going to be an insurance claim. Instead I'm going to worry about myself and get myself to safety. The best thing anyone can do if they camp in tornado country. You don't want to be in ANY place that isn't very sturdy in a bad storm.

(I'm in Alberta right now - there were two days of sustained 30-40 MPH winds, lots of gusts; I felt plenty safe in the TM)
Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
larsdennert

We came around a corner one night doing 80, no TM, and drove through small tornado. I couldn't see anything for several seconds. The sound was deafening and the truck shook horribly. I had to replace the wind screen from damage. Luckily the road was straight or it would have been ugly.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
ericluvskim04

Dave,
I was camping at Pendaries Campground in Northern New Mexico at 6500ft last weekend with my wife. Lovely campground and only 4 rigs in the site. Any way the first night we had winds over 30 miles an hour. Like the post before you could whipping through the trees but the camper didn't move a bit. Now the pine needles fromt he Ponderosa pines kept hitting the roof and kept us up a bit the we felt very safe and secure. Now we did have trouble with the water lines because it got down to 27 degrees that night but we were warm and safe.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
mtnguy

The dog and I camped at Loft Mt. on the Skyline Dr. over the weekend, and had ~30 mph winds Friday nite. The TM stayed steady, but I was more concerned with the dead branches overhead. I had a small branch fall on the roof during high winds in PA. several weeks ago.......a small dent that would have probably torn a rubber roof that they put on so many RVs now.

Chap
Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #16
lnussbau

Magdefrau,

There are dust devils and there are dust devils. Most are fairly mild but, being essentially miniature tornados, driving through one of the strong ones could cause you problems, to say the least. There have even been rare ones that could tear up a mobile home, and do other rather serious damage -- of course these aren't your garden variety dust devils, but they do occur on occasion.

After living in New Mexico, Texas and Colorado for many years, I've seen a couple of these strong ones, and you really don't want any part of them.

Or in other words, caution is in order...
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Magdefrau

I will agree.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #18
James Knutson

Default TM In Heavy Winds While Towing

I came across this thread and thought that I would add some related information to it. My wife and I have just returned from a 2000 mile trip through New Mexico, Arizona and returning to California. While on our last leg on Interstate 10 headed to home we ran into very heavy winds in Indio and the Palm Springs area. I estimate that those winds were 45 to 55 mph. Along with the winds were heavy sand blowing across the freeway.

At no time was I concerned. I have a mid-sized SUV and a 3124KS. It performed well against these heavy cross winds. We had no problem...although my fuel economy was affected. The low profile paid off. I observed other high profile RV units and they were swaying all over the place. Our TM was rock solid.

Just food for thought.

Jim and Nancy Knutson
TM3124KS and 2002 XTERRA
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
grakin

Okay, I tore down camp today in very strong wind - and I was parked backwards from the way I normally would park if I know there will be strong wind (it was calm when I parked!) - that is, I was parked facing away from the wind.

Of course getting out was the first reminder it was windy (besides for the shaking and the howling!), and the door just about was ripped out of my hand by the wind.

The next reminder was tearing down. The wind blowing from the back of the TM towards the front made the front shell very difficult to close. I never thought of that before. Fortunately I was able to get the shell closed (would have been easier with a second person) fine, but it was definitely more difficult.

It was a quite strong wind storm, even by Wyoming standards.

But through it all, I never worried about the stability of the TM. Even pulling it through the wind (a crosswind) was relatively easy - I only got nervous when passed by semi-tractors who had substantial leans because of the wind. Watched a fifth wheel towing a small utility trailer that was fishtailing all over the road (fortunately he swayed slightly less as he passed me - I guess 65 MPH in 60+ MPH side gusts just isn't fast enough!). Hope he made it home.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #20
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grakin View Post
The next reminder was tearing down. The wind blowing from the back of the TM towards the front made the front shell very difficult to close.
Wonder if just raising the tongue 6" would have helped (and lowering it back down for the rear shell).