TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #31
Wingedryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Winged, where did you go? Sterling Res? Curious, as I have been to Jackson Res, and Bonnie, but only in November. No bug problem then. I am considering other locations NE, to take the grandsons to.
LoveToCamp, it was the first week of June at Jackson Lake SP near Wiggins. I think you're safe in November - Ha, I should have gone that time of year! Never experienced anything like it before at St. Vrain or Bonnie. Our campsite was near the water. Only a distant neighbor of 4 fishermen, who also broke camp early. Can never be too safe, I guess. Will be armed with Raid Yard Guard, peppermint oil, citronella, & a car vac from now on!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #32
foxhaven0

The biggest problem we ever had with bugs was before we owned the TM. We went to Ochlockonee State Park in Sopchoppy, Florida in June in the Aliner.
The horseflies and skeeters 'bout ate us up! And the horseflies were big, around an inch or better in length, with green eyes. We had to leave after one night and have them sent us a refund. The ranger said that it was just that time of year. November was much nicer.
As to ants I have a problem here in the house occasionally and found the Max Attacks ant baits to work well for the fire ants but the teeny tiny black ants don't seem to go for it. At least they don't bite.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 PM   #33
Expanderoo

We're camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with our new-to-us 2007 3124KB and the mosquitos are getting in. I think this area should be a testing ground for trailer manufacturers as the mosquitos are so thick and persistent.

So far, I've:

- used wet wipes all over the place to try to cover gaps (bed corners, top of the bed slides on each side on the rear bed, around the door flaps, anywhere there is a gap in the flaps or they meet a wall, etc)
- redone the door seals although discovered the foam might be too thick so going to redo them again with thinner foam
- toweled the bottom of the doors
- discovered gap between front and rear upper shells above stove -- inserted slice of pool noodle along with more wet wipes
- discovered gap between upper and lower shells on bathroom wall and across the "hall" behind the dresser -- more pool noodle slices and wet wipes
- realized rear storage area could see light during day from inside -- under bed slide on rear is open, used more pool noodle slices to try to seal rear bed slide
- went to front and tried to seal again on the edges -- for some reason, front bed slide has a seal that covers most of the gap while rear does not?

I'm using the wet wipes for the material -- the cloth stays together when wet (of course) so I find it better than paper towels.

So far, I'm not winning this war. I do see some gaps around the wheels and might try to use some sealant there (some already present). I also see the access panels to the outside behind the fridge/furnace are wide open but not sure if there is paths to the interior (perhaps behind the couch on 3124KB)?

I also found the window gaskets have shrunk and it might be a possible route for mosquitos but this is unproven -- just possibility. Another on is through the roof vents where the interior trim overlaps but doesn't have a solid seal. Admittedly, it's like a trap with the overlapping pieces so unlikely a route. But there seem to be a lot of potential routes and even with low probability, it seems like there might be enough...

Opening the door is a real problem but it's clear they are getting in via other methods. Tomorrow night, I'm getting out the deet and going outside in the dark (with all the lights on inside) to try to figure out what I'm missing...
Old 08-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #34
Expanderoo

Yesterday, I took some window screen material and did a quick test cover of the two big external access panels/vents behind the fridge. I also put a small piece behind the plumbing/graywater vent (not sure if bugs can make it in that way but easy to do).

And... Success! Although the weather turned colder and the bugs might have been less active so I want to try a couple more nights. But it appears there is a good chance mosquitos can make it into the trailer via the access panels/vents on the exterior of the trailer where the fridge is located. Putting netting here probably adds more maintenance as one needs to regularly ensure there is no blockage of air flow. But I'm happy to pay that price if it means no more mosquitos!

If everything is still working great over the next couple of evenings, I'll post what I've done and what seems to have worked. I was getting frustrated as the tone in my last post might have made clear but I am really hopeful that it is possible to use the TrailManor in heavy mosquito areas.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #35
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expanderoo View Post
Yesterday, I took some window screen material and did a quick test cover of the two big external access panels/vents behind the fridge. I also put a small piece behind the plumbing/graywater vent (not sure if bugs can make it in that way but easy to do).

And... Success! Although the weather turned colder and the bugs might have been less active so I want to try a couple more nights. But it appears there is a good chance mosquitos can make it into the trailer via the access panels/vents on the exterior of the trailer where the fridge is located. Putting netting here probably adds more maintenance as one needs to regularly ensure there is no blockage of air flow. But I'm happy to pay that price if it means no more mosquitos!

If everything is still working great over the next couple of evenings, I'll post what I've done and what seems to have worked. I was getting frustrated as the tone in my last post might have made clear but I am really hopeful that it is possible to use the TrailManor in heavy mosquito areas.
Interesting. I say this because I'm fairly certain my fridge "cabinet" is fairly well sealed to the inside--I've never looked at it as a point of ingress to mosquitos. I'm going to need to keep an eye out if we ever suffer from the same!

Thanks for the information.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #36
Expanderoo

I also sealed where the bed slides are. One front corner (note some old tape covering slight opening in the seal -- I didn't redo that yet after a move):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_131448.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	18571

And the rear:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_131504.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	18572

Note that the prior owners redid the curtains and then removed the inner bed slide ends/cover to put matching fabric on to them. I think that they left some gaps although perhaps TrailManor also leaves some gaps there -- it doesn't seem like a good seal. One day, I will take off both covers and try to use foam or whatever method seems appropriate to try to seal the inner part of the slides.