TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default windows leaking

Hello All, Our TM 2720qb is a new unit with several windows leaking from the top portion. The temperature is about 50 degrees inside and out and there is no condensation on the windows. This is a brand new unit and yet there is rain water coming in. All the windows are closed and latched. The weep holes are free of debris. The 3/4 " rubber upper window plugs are all installed on the outside and the water is dripping from the top on the inside. There is a continuous caulk line around each of the windows, with no apparent voids.
Has anyone experienced this and do you know what can be done to remedy the leaks.
Thanks much for all your insight... Bob ... rbhtrail
rbhtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The water appears inside at the top of the windows, but it is not clear to me that the entry point is there. The water could be entering from higher up (roof centerline, for example) and flowing down inside the wall until it encounters the "dam" at the top of the windows. The fact that several windows leak from the top supports this thought. It is unlikely that several windows are defective, or were installed incorrectly.

Try this. Get a big sheet of thin plastic, like a cheap painter's drop cloth. Cut a piece a few inches bigger than one of the leaking windows. Put it over the window, and tape all four edges securely and continuously to the side of the trailer. Masking tape is fine. In the next rainstorm, does that window leak?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default windows leaking

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I have had two window leaks in my two tms. One was the sealant q outside around the window. Had to remove and reinstall window. Don't over tighten window or it will leak again. I would leave about 1/16 inch thick sealant

2nd leak was the caulk along outer edge of roof. Removed caulk front to back along edge where window is and re-caulk.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Many years ago, I had a similar problem. The water was coming in at the roof line at the edge where it meets the side of the camper. The water was coming over the side and going up the side of the camper into the space between the lip of the edge and the exterior side. There is a name for this where the water flows uphill through a small gap but I can't remember what it is. I caulked this gap and the leak stopped. I had a lot of water coming in.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
wrenchami
Site Sponsor

Capillary action...
'14 2922KB, 2x6V 115AH GC batteries up front. Slide out galley cabinet trays. All LED lighting. Awning LED light strip. LED night lights, front cabinets & in head. Liner-free shower mod. Exterior vent exhaust fan mod for head. Detachable shelves on galley walls. Bluetooth audio amp over fridge.

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe TV, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Yandina160 combiner.

PO'd '78 American Clipper (21.5' class C), TM '03 3023QS couch model, Classic '75 GMC Eleganza II 26' Class A.
wrenchami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default windows leaking

Hello All, I took Bill's advice and wrapped all the windows with plastic, isolating them from the roof seams. After 3 days of rain the result, there was no evidence of water infiltration. I then removed the plastic and tested it again.We had 2 days of light rain, resulting in a small amount of water infiltration. I set up a sprinkler on a 6' ladder and allowed the water to spray over the roof for an hour. We had drippage coming in at several of the windows tops and dripping to the lower window sill, not sure if it's within the window channel or emanating from the screws at the top. I'll have to check the seam caulking on the roof for voids and all fixtures that penetrate the roof. The Mystery is yet to be solved and I will persevere !
Thanks for all your valuable input and further thoughts and recommendations.
Bob... rbhtrail ...2019 2720QB...
Old 11-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

So you seal over the windows and they don't leak after three days of rain. Then you expose the windows again, and it leaks both in light rain and with a sprinkler. This would imply that the leak is at the windows, rather than the roof.

It is suspicious to me that all the windows leak. If there is a void in the roof caulking (either center or sidewall), I would expect to find leaking at the window below the void, but not at multiple windows. It begins to sound like a windows installation problem, rather than a roof caulking problem.

I seem to recall that there is some sort of seal that is supposed to be installed between the window casing and the exterior sidewall of the trailer. Again, ISTR that it was not a one-piece cut-out seal, but a hand-formed rope of something like plumber's putty that gets squished when you screw the window into place. If the installer didn't include this seal at any window, then every window might leak. Let me check my notes and post again.

Meanwhile, just eyeball the caulking at the roof center, at the roof edges, and (most important) across the top of each window, and down the sides. (The windows may not be caulked across the bottom.) Is caulking actually present? Is it in good shape?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Default windows leaking

Thanks Bill, Not all windows leak, all but the front and rear.
I'll check for voids in all caulked areas. Is There a way to check to see if there is this hand formed sealant in between the window flange and the sidewall. Do you also know of any window construction details that may be available, perhaps from the window manufacturer ? Do you know the name of the manufacturer of the windows ?
If I had their name,I would try and contact them directly for some technical information. Sometimes in an effort of providing good customer service, manufacturers are willing to provide engineering details of proprietary products.
Thanks again for all your help... Bob ...
Old 11-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I think the stuff Bill is referring to is called butyl seal tape... And the windows were made by Hehr in the past.

Dicor BT-1834-1 1/8" x 3/4" x 30' Butyl Seal Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCB4JS..._o5mXDbB42MC9H

Not really related but helpful for future use... If you’re going to R&R the windows to reseal them, write down the serial numbers of each window with a note for which number is which window. If you ever need to order a replacement window or parts, they will need that serial number. The tag is in the window frame.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote