TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
MARIA1

Default Changing a Tire

A while back someone mentioned something about a lift kit for changing a tire on the Trailmanor. They said this kit allows you to change the tire wihout opening up the Trailmanor. How does it work and is it an extra option you can add to your existing Trailmanor????
Old 10-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
masterge

Why do you need to open it up? Are you planning to use a regualr tire crank jack? Granted, I haven't had to change one yet, but looking at it, it looks like I have plenty of room. But i am looking at using a bottle jack. I'm also interested in this kit if it exists, because with the new ground clearance TM is using on the 2007s, my old bottle jack is going to need some help to lift if I have a flat. I do have some cut down heavy duty pallet dunnage wood blocks to place under frame, but I would be happier having something a little more secure if it is out there.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
MARIA1

Default Changing a Tire

Don't know about the 2007 Trailmanors, mine is a 2004, 3124KS and I know from experience that you have to open it up to change the tire and remove the fender skirt also. I have also used a bottle jack which works fine after it is opened up.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
MARIA1

Default Changing a Tire

Leon....I do not have permission on this forum to access your picture (that's what I received when I tried to open it up) Anyway, how do you put this lift kit on or does it have to come from the factory already installed???. How much does it cost??? Would appreciate any other info about it. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
MidwestDave

Red face Changing Tire & Lift Kit

The lift kit merely,when installed at factory, lifts the TM 2". With the lift kit on a TM you would have (as an example not really sure of height) to have a jack to raise 22" instead of 20". Looking at our 2006-2720 with a factory lift kit I would need to open the TM before I could change a tire. Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I've lost track of the original question here. But to change a tire, what has to happen is that you slide a jack under the frame rail, and jack it up. Problem is that when a tire goes flat, especially on soft ground, the frame rail can be pretty close to the ground, so you need a jack that starts at perhaps 7 inches of collapsed height. Slide the jack under the frame rail, and pump it up to the top of its lift capability. Most likely, the TM is not yet high enough to remove the damaged tire, so you lower the stabilizer jacks to hold the TM at its current height, then drop the jack, put blocks under it, and jack the TM up some more. I've had several flats, and have always needed to jack twice. It isn't hard.

When you start the process, the question is whether the TM frame is far enough off the ground to get a jack under the frame rail at all. If it isn't, but it is close, you can sometimes scoop a depression in the ground so that the jack will fit. Or if the ground is hard, you can use the stabilizers to raise the TM until you can get a jack under there. This is where the lift kit helps. If you have a lift kit, the frame will start out 2 inches higher off the ground than if you don't have the lift kit. And this may eliminate one step in the jacking process. But either way, it is not a big deal.

If you have a lift kit, you may be able to remove the old tire, and install the new one, without releasing the TM shells (you don't have to open it all the way). If you don't have a lift kit, you may have to release the shells. Still not a big deal in the grand scheme of failed-tire repairs. I've done it both ways.

Final note - make sure you put the jack under the frame, never the axle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I had a flat on my 2004 TM 2720SL (which has the 2 inch lift kit) and was able to change the tire without removing the "skirt" or opening up the tM. The problem with doing so was that the process put such a strain on the opposite upper shell "hold down" latch point that it pulled free of its attachment points.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Al-n-Sue

Bill - I see a lot of references to using a bottle jack to help change tires. (I've had one of these since I first got a car - always called it a hydraulic jack). But my question is, due to the potentially low clearance of the TM and the limited lift of the jack, it seems a scissors jack would work better. The jack for my TV is a nice heavy duty scissors jack. I used it to change a couple of flats on my popup (both on the same trip!) and it worked great. It has a lift range of about 18-20 inches and is only about 2 inches tall when flat. Am I missing something particular to the TM?
Alan
Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Am I missing something particular to the TM?
Alan
Nope - a scissors jack will work just fine. All that is needed is something that can slip under the frame rail, and LIFT. I've always used bottle jacks because I don't have a decent scissors jack, and IMO a bottle jack is easy to carry (my TV has a little cubby that just fits it) and pumping it is so much easier than cranking the scissors jack, especially if I have to do the job in two lifts. (Of course, if you have a scissors jack with an 18-20" lift, that will never happen.) But that's just personal preference - I hate cranking the scissors jacks on the TM, too.

If you can avoid carrying a second jack, that is a nice thing - they're heavy. Naturally, you have to make sure that the jack is readily at hand. My first time out, I had the jack stored under the TV floor, and had to unload 500 pounds of stuff onto the road in order to get at it.

Someone on this board found a really nice little floor jack that looks perfect. As I recall, there was a picture as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Question Advice on lifting tm

HI ALL
need advice on lifting tm, hopeing to go to spring shop, does tm need to be open before lifting for shells safety, i thought i read somewhere that you should open before lifting? i know i need to be on frame, i just want to be safe with the hotel at the shop, the ole boys know springs and axles but not real sure if they know the word gentle, any advice much appreciated

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote