TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Getting ready for 5 months in our 2720.

Leaving October and returning somewhere around the first of April. We are going to become anti-snowbirds. Will rent the house out to snowbirds here in Florida while we travel the US, Florida to Michigan to Los Angeles and back to Florida. We just got home from 8 weeks in the old girl and starting to make a few changes for the trip. We are not new at this, having spent 3 months last year in a Aliner. The TM seems like a 5 bedroom resort compared to the Aliner in size.

Before the 8 week trip, we signed up for the Zone pass at Thousand Trails. I think we have camped 21 days so far at their resort. Some have been nicer than others, but overall we enjoyed them. Kind of laying our trip to LA around the TT resorts.

Planning on taking 2 months to get to LA with going to Michigan first. Leaf color change has always been my favorite time of the year. When it gets too cold, we are leaving Michigan and heading south and then west to LA. Daughter lives in LA and wife can't wait to get there. Couple months in Southern Cali and then a month back to Florida. Retirement is great.

This time, I am carrying two of everything. Broke computer screen, Dogs ate the couch up which I just finished yesterday recovering. Flat screen TV cracked, Last month stopped at TM in Jacksboro where they installed a lift kit. Now going to switch to 15 inch tires. Had to get the satellite dish out with 3 LNB so wife and I could watch different shows. Got to put away the summer clothes and get out jeans and clothes for winter. Playing with different shelving ideas for the Wardrobe and underneath the bed. Funny when you spend 8 weeks in the beast, what goes through your mind. We also are removing the recliner we have and replacing it with one of those zero gravity chairs. Tired of sliding that thing around. Too heavy. I also pulled one of the rollers our when sliding the couch forward. I was concern about how difficult it was to repair. A piece of cake. Jacked up the slide, Put the roller back in and fastened it with screws. I also put screws in the stop preventing it from allowing me to pull the slide out too far.

BTW on the computer cracked screen, I purchased it at Walmart with the warranty. I filed the claim when I got home and immediately they sent me a Egift card with a full refund. I got to keep the computer. Trying to decide if it is worth getting fixed. No wonder they are number one in retail.

Fortunately no problems with the TM on the 4000 mile trip except the roller on the couch and the dog eating a hole in the couch (poor couch).

Ok getting to long winded. Any suggestion about making the 5 months easier on the wife and two dogs, ears are up. I think the best thing I can do is just keep my mouth shut. I am reading Lincoln by Gore Vidal. That should take a while. I also have the Gettysburg monthly magazines since I think 1984. That should keep me busy also.

We just completed 7 Civil War Battlefieds last month.

Remember take two of everything except wives.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
MisterP

Good luck. You are a brave man. Remember the two most important words when traveling for long periods - "yes dear"
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Tampajohn,

Your last comment is all you need to know. Thanks for the smile of the day. Long trip, but have fun.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Sounds likes great trip. I'm from LA originally and we love to visit out there. As for spending that much time in the TM, I like the outdoors, so anytime I can be outside, it gives the wife a little quiet time for her. Your welcome to stop by Houston and pick up National Geographic monthly for the last 25 years. Have a great time.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
moaboy

That borders on being nearly full time in a TM...
Good luck and don't forget your pharmaceuticals!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Tampajohn

Speaking of LA, I spent 16 days on the street of San Pedro last summer. Daughter and her husband lives in a condo there that did not allow dogs. Result was me staying in an Aliner for 16 days on the street waiting for a baby to be born. Wife did not want to leave waiting for our new grandaughter. She stayed in the condo with the daughter and I was stuck on the street with two dogs. Police came once and I explained the situation and they chuckled and left me alone. I got to know the garbage men, lawn workers, and maintenace men real well. Lot of the neighbors would stop by and say hello. I ran the generator a couple hours per day to charge the batteries. One lady said she was an actress and for me to watch for her on TV. Caught up on a lot of reading and the dogs took a lot of walks. What we do for our children.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Beak12

There is a vary nice RV park in Long Beach ----right downtown. Do you have a TT park in mind for the LA area? Have been a membere of TTN for over 25 years and I can't remember a park in or near LA?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Tampajohn

Aware of the one your talking about, but $55 per night for State Campground, a bit steep for our budget. Soledad, Wilderness, and Palm Desert are the ones we are thinking about, with closest being 70 miles close to San Pedro. We also are thinking about buying something in Sun City, Cali. Wilderness would give us time to search that opportunity. We also stayed in the mountains last year at Dogwood Campgound. Really enjoyed that at $12 per night for seniors.

Wife would like to live right next door to the kids, but I find a few miles away works out better for me. Anyway looking forward to the trip. Thanks John
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Beak12

What a shock on the price. I though you might be wrong. So I checked the web page. Your right $55.00 per night---$65.00 week ends. I know the State needs money. But I don't think is a State park. At least I hope not.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
Tampajohn

Default Arbors

We found another trailer park called the Arbors. I do not think it is very nice, but I believe, if memory serves me right it is $140 per week. I dont think it is in the nice part of town, but at least close to the kids. We can bop in there for a week and then back out to the TT which will confirm to our contract with Thousand Trails.