TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #1
JohnMD

Wayne and Dave,

Thanks for the great feedback. You make great points. I've been reading the board for a few years and have enjoyed reading about everyone's solar/lithium upgrades. We're heading out for a 5-week southwest trip in late June. Our long travel days will be followed by nights with full hookups, so we can switch to shore power overnight. I'm not up for a switch to lithium right now, but am not ruling it out for the future. I have learned a few things:

1. I spoke with Universal Power Group tech support and they confirmed the 30A max charge rate and stated they recommend staying around 27 max for my battery.

2. The Victron SmartSolar controller documentation states:

"Max charge current -This setting sets the maximum battery charge current. It is by default set to the maximum solar charge current.
Use this setting to reduce the charge current, for example, when a smaller battery bank is used that requires a lower charge
current."

So, if I go with 2 panels, I can lower the max charge rate setting to compensate for a few amps from the truck. However, I'm not sure how many amps would be coming from the truck while traveling...I guess figuring that out is now on my task list. (As an aside, I'd be curious to know what the charge current of the original WFCO converter is when on shore power, which I don't see noted in the manual.)

I understand sizing the batteries and array to one another, but figure I have a better shot at keeping the battery charged with the Norcold on battery power with two panels while driving.

John