TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Maxine_51334

Default Visitors

How do you kindly tell people that since you bought your camper it is not a free hotel !
They want to sleep on my sofa,which will ruin it I think. I have made every excuse I can think of. These are In-Laws so it is kind of tricky as we all see each other ALL the time.
I know the sofa is suppose to be an extra bed,but they have slept on it 2x and the fabric is getting wavy.
AARRGGHH !!
I have suggested we have a brand new tent,never used. No,they would just sleep on the sofa,thats ok
Ideas,LOL !!

TM 2007 2720SL
Swing tongue
Solar panel
Satellite System
15 in. Tires

TV 2003 Ford F150 SuperCab 4x4
Maxine_51334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Rio Dan

Just my humble opinion after 30 years of marriage:
Angry in-laws/early demise of RV sofa?
I'll take the latter.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Your saying that the in- laws are inviting themselves to camp with you? I would suggest that you inform them that you need some private time in the camper....Or tell them that another couple is going next time, then afterwards they changed their mind. Or tell them there is a factory recall on the sofa and it will only accommodate children.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Do they realize that while sleeping on the sofa, they are laying directly on top of highly pressurized containers of extremely flammable and explosive gas? Seems like they might not want to do that......

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Do they realize that while sleeping on the sofa, they are laying directly on top of highly pressurized containers of extremely flammable and explosive gas? Seems like they might not want to do that......

Dave
That would do it for me.....

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Maxine -

I'm not sure I understand. Do they want to sleep on the sofa at the same time you are sleeping in the rear bed? In other words, while camping? The honest solution, as suggested above, is simply to tell them that the camper gives you your private time, and you value it. Other solutions include learning to snore, staying up really really late with the TV on, "forgetting" to bring the clean linens, structural failure in the couch that you haven't had a chance to fix yet, running the furnace a lot because "it is cold way back there where we are" (the furnace is also noisy), or getting up often and loudly to use the bathroom at night (clothing optional), and flushing long and loud.

Or do they want to sleep on it while it is set up in your driveway and you are sleeping in the house? Easiest answer - close the TM and put it out of sight. Lots of reasons why it has to be gone. "A storage lot is so much safer, they have video surveillance and everything!" "The HOA demands it!" "Neighbors complained about having in the driveway - looks like a gypsy camp." "The asphalt is bad for the tires". "No room in the driveway for the extra car." Be creative.

Tell them that although the TM is undergoing some repairs, you have gotten them a very comfortable room in a nearby motel (something respectable but inexpensive like a Motel 6), at your expense. And actually do it - drive them over there, check them in, make sure they are comfy. Do this once. Next time, casually mention that you are sure they were really comfy in the motel, and it wasn't expensive, and you're sure they will be much happier to be there again this time, and the TM isn't available. But this time don't offer to pay for the motel, and don't let the conversation even start down the road toward the TM - head it off immediately, and steer it back to the motel solution, "which is so much better for you".

Lots of options. But your husband really has to be the arbiter, since he is their son. Making your in-laws upset is one thing. Making hubby upset is quite another.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Redhawk

I have slept on that sofa, and it is NOT comfortable, so that may be punishment enough.

Another option would to buy a really nice Cot (REI has VERY comfortable cots) and let them try that. Compared to the sofa....it would be heaven! Set it up in the tent and say "This is for you" Good Luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine_51334 View Post
How do you kindly tell people that since you bought your camper it is not a free hotel !
They want to sleep on my sofa,which will ruin it I think. I have made every excuse I can think of. These are In-Laws so it is kind of tricky as we all see each other ALL the time.
I know the sofa is suppose to be an extra bed,but they have slept on it 2x and the fabric is getting wavy.
AARRGGHH !!
I have suggested we have a brand new tent,never used. No,they would just sleep on the sofa,thats ok
Ideas,LOL !!

Maxine:
I would only go for the excuses if the other half was on board. If not you not only will have the in-laws but their son mad at you. Not a good outcome. If he is onboard with it then Bill made a lot of good suggestions.

Bob
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Digger

Move to Alaska, end of proplem.

Ed
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

My dh says.............doesn't matter what size camper it is it just sleeps two. Whether is a Tm. a trk camper, or 40 ft class A...it just sleeps two.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote