TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2022, 12:23 AM   #11
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Those latches have been hard to open on every TM that I've ever owned. We also carry a short piece of 2x4 and simply give the latch handle a wack to release it. i also put a thin coat of grease on the friction surface of all 4 latches every once-in-awhile.

I realize that the latches can be adjusted but I'm not real anxious to do that. As we are bouncing our way down the highway, there must be a fair bit of tension on all of the latches to avoid one or more popping open when you don't want it to. Although, even if the latch does pop open, it's not a big deal. It's not like the roof is going to fly open while going down the freeway.
DW was having an issue undoing the latches (and breaking a fingernail in the process!...The horror). So I made her a cheater bar of sorts. I had some 3/4 PVC laying around so I cut a piece about 10" long and what ya know worked perfectly. Gave her the leverage she needed to unlatch "her side". I gave it a lanyard, and some red tape rings around it too...just so she couldn't lose it!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Those latches have been hard to open on every TM that I've ever owned. We also carry a short piece of 2x4 and simply give the latch handle a wack to release it.
We carry a rubber mallet for a number if purposes, including helping with the latches. My wife uses the mallet when she is opening one side. For my part, I simply give the latch handle a whack with the heel of my hand.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #13
rbhtrail
Site Sponsor

Hello all, First thing and it's important thing, make sure you are level, side to side and front to back, opening and then closing up again. Although it may not help with opening or closing but, it'll save the sides from rubbing and scratching off the paint/decals.
rbhtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:54 PM   #14
Nancy&Ray

Default Make sure you're not overloading the sleeping area

I found that if I leave pillows or anything on the bed, it makes it hard to close. Also, unlatch the front and open it fully before trying to unlatch the rear and when closing, fully latch the rear first and then the front. There was also a trick to closing one side first but I don't remember if it was the door side first or the water/sewer side first, you'll have to do a trial and error on that one but it was always easier once I figured out which side to close first. I never had trouble opening but for closing I always had to put my full foot in and full weight on the handrail and practically jump on it to get it to latch. I can still do it all by myself though. Mine is a 2010 2720. I haven't opened it up in almost a year but vacation time is coming real soon.
Nancy&Ray is offline   Reply With Quote