TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Yamaha EF2400is at 8500 ft.

I promised in another post to share how well our Yamaha EF2400IS generator performed at altitude. My wife and I just got back from 6 day trip to Rolfe Hoyer campground in Greer, AZ. Several months ago we camped at about 5500 ft in Prescott, AZ. and we were very pleased with how well the generator powered our '07 2720SL's AC unit. Our campsite in Greer was at 8500 ft. It was our understanding (from a Yamaha tech) that the generator needed to be rejetted for use at altitudes exceeding 5000 ft -- in order compensate for the loss in efficiency that comes with altitude. Well, last week it was pretty warm in our TM even at 8500 ft and I just couldn't resist the temptation to see how the generator handled an AC load WITHOUT rejetting. First, let me say that the generator started on the first pull, every day of our 6 day trip. When I turned the AC to LOW there was a momentary (only about 1 sec) "bog" as the generator struggled to meet the AC's "start up" demands. Then the AC churned out cool air and brought the TM's temp to 58 degrees. Outside it was approx. 87 degrees. I was very surprised to see that it performed so well without rejetting. Breakers (on the generator or the TM) were never tripped in the three days that we used the AC. I only ran the AC on LOW and I minimized additional loads. Sometimes in Arizona it can get uncomfortably hot even at fairly high altitude and my wife and I love to take afternoon naps. There was a 5th Wheel several spaces away that was running yoked Honda 2000's. I think I definitely prefer our Yamaha. I'm sorry but I'm really not sure about the specific draw or demands of the AC unit on my '07 2720SL. If your TM's AC is significantly less efficient then you may not have had the same satisfactory results that we did. I just wanted everyone to know that from our experience --- the Yamaha performs better than advertised.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Freedom

Thanks, I've been thinking of buying the Yamaha EF2400IS. Is it as quiet as a Honda?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Goodyear Travels

I actually think it's quieter than my old Honda 2000 --- especially under load. The Yamaha's engine has considerably more HP but I believe it operates under a lower, factory-set RPM. Keep your windows closed and you can operate it 10 feet from the end of your TM and still catch a nap. I also went ahead and bought the factory wheel set. I've seen them advertised in various sources as "rubber" wheels. They are, however, "hard plastic" and somewhat narrow. They are not very well suited for manuvering the generator across dirt, gravel, or a forest floor. But they're great for any smooth surface area and two of the wheels lock the generator in position with easily accessed locking levers. The wheels' utility depends on the surfaces that you most frequent and whether you're inclined to spend about $85 to spare your back. One could make a small platform with larger, swivel wheels for $50-$60 from Home Depot or Lowes. I'm sure that there are even more creative wheel options. I almost adapted my sturdy, Thetford 18 gal, black water tote to move the generator around camp.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Freedom

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Doug W.

I think I will have to look at getting one of these generators. I saw your earlier post and had been waiting for your update. It will also come in handy if we have another ice storm. It will not supply power to the whole house, but will let us keep the frig and our small freezer and a few lights going. It will also let the stove light automatically. I borrowed a 3000 watt from work after we got power to all our microwave and two-way radio sites after the last ice storm, but that was two days without power.

Have you considered a 2 wheel hand cart that converts to a 4 wheel. I tried to rent one when we moved my father-in-law to his apartment, but they did not have any available. I found one at the local hardware store for a little over $100. I am surprised how often I use it now that I have my own.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
It will also come in handy if we have another ice storm. It will not supply power to the whole house, but will let us keep the frig and our small freezer and a few lights going.
More important, perhaps, it will let you keep your oil or gas furnace going. During the northeast ice storm of '98, I went up to my parent's place and spliced a plug-and-socket into the electrical line to their oil burner. Under normal circumstances, the plug and socket are mated, which gives you the original connection. But when the power goes out, you unplug them, and plug the furnace into the generator. Worked like a champ. Fifteen minutes on and two hours off, and they were toasty for the five days that the power was out.

If you splice in the plug-and-socket BEFORE the storm, then you are ready when the power goes out.

The generator won't support electric baseboard heat, of course. But it will run a couple of strategically-placed portable electric heaters. Move them from room to room, and you (and your pipes!) won't freeze.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Doug W.

Good catch Bill, it will also feed the furnace and it did on the one I borrowed. I have a 30 amp 220 volt breaker the previous owner had a welder connected to. I turned off the main breaker and connected the generator to the old welder breaker. When the neighbor got power, I turned off the generator, turned off the welder breaker and then turned on the main house breaker. I left it wired up for 24 hours, because the previous ice storm the power came back on for 6 hours and then was out for another day and a half.

If anybody is thinking about doing this, make sure you know what you are doing. Never hook a generator to your house without disconnecting from your utility service line. Lineman are injured every year, because they think they are working on a dead line and some genius has his generator connected to his house without disconnecting from their service line. Transformers work both way. The same transformer that steps down the 6,000 VAC primary distribution line to the dual phase 120 VAC service to your house will also take that 120 dual phase from the generator and step it up to several thousand VAC on the primary distribution line.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
larsdennert

Where are you all transporting your generators? Is anyone storing theirs in the trailer over the axle? I'm trying to avoid putting more tongue weight on.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm trying to figure out a way to carry our little Honda EU-1000i either on the rear bumper of the TM, or on the tongue (tougher location on a 27220SL with a folding tongue). My wife HATES the smell of gasoline, so I haven't tried to carry it inside the tow vehicle or the TM. A couple members have assured me that the Hondas don't smell - but they haven't experienced my wife's sense of smell. I'd like to convet it to propane, but haven't found a kit.

In the end, I may try putting it in a garbage bag and tieing the neck closed, just so I can carry it in the tow vehicle. But I am really interested in the experience of others in relation to gasoline smell.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #10
Goodyear Travels

The Yamaha has a fuel shut off switch and I will cut the fuel supply at the end of each vacation and let the generator burn off what remains in the carb bowl. Unlike the Honda --- the Yamaha doesn't have a vent switch -- I'm not sure why ?? When we have left camp for extended periods -- we have occasionally stored the fully fueled Yamaha in the TM and we haven't noticed any fumes at all. We've also we slept with the generator stored in the TM and still haven't noticed any fumes. But I'd always prefer to have to have anything containing flamable liquids -- to be out in the open air. I'd also prefer to have the TV carry the additional weight of the generator and so spare the TM's axle and tires.