TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
bebotx

Question Hidden 110 outlet in my TM 2720

I have a 2005 2720SL with the built in microwave/conventional oven combo under the 3-burner cook top (BTW, I love the space saving combo micro/oven). A couple of outings ago, I was cleaning and had the cook top grid and cover off. I discovered a 110 outlet back behind the cook top on the side of the cabinet to the right of the stove. Nothing was plugged into it.

As I recall, it’s about 6-8 inches below the countertop, but is not accessible or even visible with the cook top assembled. This outlet is in the same cabinet that has the 110 outlet on the other side - the one that's covered up when you have the microwave drawer in place. I wish I had a picture to show the location.

I plugged a short extension cord into it and replaced the cook top cover and grid. There is a gap between the back edge of the cook top cover and the wall of the TM, and I have the cord threaded through this gap (the gap is big enough that the cord can move freely between the cook top cover and the wall). We’ve only used the attached extension cord for our cell phone chargers.

Is anyone else familiar with this hidden outlet? If so, have you used it? Can anyone think of a good reason not to use it?

I was thinking of moving my coffeemaker over to that outlet's extension cord next time out. In the past we’ve plugged the coffeemaker and a small lamp into the outlet next to the microwave drawer (using a flush-type extension cord so the drawer top can fit snug to the adjacent countertop).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, Betty -

I'm not familiar with the outlet you describe, but I bet it is similar to the "hidden outlet" behind the refirg - the one that the refrig is plugged into. In that case, the outlet is hidden because it is not powered through the GFI protected circuit breaker - it is a separate circuit - and in a movable vehicle with a plug-in power source, GFI protection is important.

Open up the circuit breaker panel (in the converter) and switch off the GFI circuit breaker - the one with the white button. Now check to see if the outlet you asked about still has power. If it does, it is not GFI-protected, and is not really good for use as a general purpose outlet.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
bebotx

Thanks Bill – next time I have the TM out in a few weeks, I’ll check it for the GFI circuit. If it’s not GFI protected and not intended for general use, I’m wondering why the outlet is there at all, if nothing was plugged into it when I “discovered” it?

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Betty -

I don't know why it is there. It is in the right location for the side-mounted air conditioner (which was mounted in one of the kitchen cabinets) - but the side-mount was phased out in, I think, 2003. I can't think of any other use, but like you, would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Power source for the old side mount AC sounds about right. But I seem to remember someone posting about a built in microwave/convection oven not working that was traced to it not being plugged in to an undercabinet receptacle.
Sounds good to me!
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Bill & Lisa

I will have to check that one out.. while trouble shooting TV antenna problems I found the refridgator plug on a 2005. I eventually found the plug on my 2006 (it was in a differnt location but the unused plug was blanked off with Silicone to prevent use.....maybe because it was non GFI? Anyway, I will have to look for this other plug.
Bill
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Alrhall

Thumbs up Hidden 120AC outlet

Got cold (17F) here 3 nights ago, so I bought a 2'nd 1500 Watt Electric Heater. It was about the same price as 1 tank of LP gas. Those horizontal tanks on the 2720SL are a pain to demount and mount when it's 25 Deg outside.
When I turned both heaters on I learned that all of the outlets are on one 15Amp breaker. So, I ran 1 electric heater and the gas heater.
The breaker panel was labeled for a Microwave but the breaker was missing and I found a disconnected wire. I pulled the Gas oven out and found the hidden outlet. It was dead. When I hooked the disconnected wire to a breaker the outlet came to life.
Next day I bought a double 15A breaker. 4 feet of 14-2 romex cable, a box and a GFI outlet. I put the GFI in series with the hidden outlet, mounted it inboard of the outlet by the "Microwave shelf" and powered it with the second half of the double breaker. Now I have two 15A circuits protected by GFI. I can use the 2 electric heaters, and save on LP gas. The other thing I did to save gas was turn on the electric heater in the water heater. (Don’t forget to turn it off before disconnecting the water hose and draining.)
I only turn the gas water heater on, to stretch the amount of hot water, when I take a shower.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
MidwestDave

Default Mystery Outlet

If your SL is set up like our 2006-2720 and the stove is on the door side of trailer then I know of the outlet. If there is a microwave shelf in place it would be near impossible to see it. I designed and made a shelf that stands next to the wardrobe and on top of the microwave shelf. It gives me two additional shelves this way. I then plug in our microwave (Walmart supplied) into the outlet you were speaking about. The TM is very well designed and we are pleased with our new 2720 (06). Happy camping all.

Midwest Dave
Along the frozen Mississippi River, Northwestern Illinois