TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
jdbk12

Default can't get brake pin back in

I accidentally pulled out the emergency brake pin on my '99 3023. When I went to put the pin back in I could only get it in about half way. No matter how hard I pushed on it I could not get it all the way in. The trailer is parked right now so I was concerned that the brakes would be on and run down the batteries. I disconnected the battery to be safe, but if the brakes are activated I'll need to get the pin back in before I can move it. Has anyone pulled the pin on their trailer, and was it difficult to get it back in?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
kokilo

I pull the pin every year when I test and adjust the brakes. There has never been a problem reinserting the pin. Perhaps the assembly is damaged.

Peter
Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
jdbk12

Would I be correct to assume that when the pin is inserted it disconnects the circuit, and when it is removed the contacts are closed to energize the brakes?
John
Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbk12 View Post
Would I be correct to assume that when the pin is inserted it disconnects the circuit, and when it is removed the contacts are closed to energize the brakes?
John
That is my understanding of how it works. If you have disconnected the battery the brakes won't be activated, you just won't have any brakes until the issue is resolved.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I've never had a problem putting the pin back in, check to make sure it isn't damaged.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
wahoonc

Is the pin round or square? I have one switch where the pin only goes in one way, it is square. The switches aren't very expensive to replace.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
jdbk12

It is a square pin - it looks sort of like a H from the end. I had to rotate it to get it to start going in but then it would only go in half way. I could see it had an o-ring at the end so I was pretty sure it needed to go all the way in. I'll see if I can get a replacement switch before I pick up the trailer in the spring.
Thanks,
John
Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbk12 View Post
It is a square pin - it looks sort of like a H from the end. I had to rotate it to get it to start going in but then it would only go in half way. I could see it had an o-ring at the end so I was pretty sure it needed to go all the way in. I'll see if I can get a replacement switch before I pick up the trailer in the spring.
Thanks,
John
Try rotating it another quarter turn until it goes in? Also a small dab of dielectric grease (any grease for that matter) wouldn't hurt.

Aaron

Tags
brakes