TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
DoubleT

Default How to Control ANTS???

Our new to us 2008 2619 has ants inside. Small sugar ants not swarming but just around everytime I open it up. Any suggestions on how to safely get rid of them. Thought about a " Bug Bomb" but it may be too much for a small space. Have heard something about dryer sheets. Any thoughts??
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Riwright
TrailManor Master

We have a lot of ants where I live. Terro ant bait works well and it not toxic. It does not poison the ants directly, they take it back to the nest and it kills the nest.

Bug bombs and sprays only kill the ones that happen to be inside. The ones in the nest are back the next day.

It is however quite slow. It can take weeks or longer. You need to leave the bait out and make sure they have enough. However it is the only thing I have found that really handles the problem.

You can also look at the trailer and eliminate sources of food and water. They won't come if there is nothing to eat.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
brulaz

Agree, it really depends upon where the nest is. If the nest is in your trailer (happened to us this winter; under the hot water heater), Raid Ant spray will kill them all.

Otherwise you need Ant bait/traps . We need to use those at home as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
ottfour

I agree with Riwright. Terro has work well for us when we have had problems with ants but as stated it doesn't happen over night but does rid you of the problem.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Scott O

If I remember correctly (and anything having to do with memory is chancy) baking power scattered on the ground around anything touching the ground connected to the TM will deter them. This would include wheels, jacks, hoses, cables, cords, etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
klv5920

You can also use talcum powder, baking soda, Comet or medicated body powder.
Baking soda is much much cheaper than baking powder.

Karen
Old 04-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Mr. Adventure Ant trap

I got this in a newspaper many years ago:
Dent an empty soft drink can so it won't roll. Get some Boric Acid powder at the pharmacy (you might have to ask for it at the desk). Put 1/2 teaspoon of water and 1/2 teaspoon of Karo syrup in an empty soft drink can. Roll it around so that it coats the inside surfaces a bit. Add 1/4 teaspoon of boric acid and shake it a bit so that it's spread around in the can. Place a couple cans like this in the back of cabinets or where ants have been found.

The corn syrup acts as bait and the boric acid will act as a poison for the ants. It is not terribly toxic to pets or humans, but if you're concerned about toxicity or how you'll be using it, just ask the pharmacist. The can makes sure that pets or children can't get into it, just in case.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
EAKlebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
I got this in a newspaper many years ago:
Dent an empty soft drink can so it won't roll. Get some Boric Acid powder at the pharmacy (you might have to ask for it at the desk). Put 1/2 teaspoon of water and 1/2 teaspoon of Karo syrup in an empty soft drink can. Roll it around so that it coats the inside surfaces a bit. Add 1/4 teaspoon of boric acid and shake it a bit so that it's spread around in the can. Place a couple cans like this in the back of cabinets or where ants have been found.

The corn syrup acts as bait and the boric acid will act as a poison for the ants. It is not terribly toxic to pets or humans, but if you're concerned about toxicity or how you'll be using it, just ask the pharmacist. The can makes sure that pets or children can't get into it, just in case.
As to toxicity - many years ago, we used to use boric acid to bathe our eyes when we would get a "sty" so I have my doubts as to how toxic it is.
The recipe for the ant killer (and also for other creepy crawlies) is to use about two TBS of boric acid and 3 - 4 tbs of sugar, mix them together and set out when you see activity. The ants take it back to the nest and they whole colony dies. (supposed to also work with roaches, etc).

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid
also see: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/pic...od3997-product which advises to apply only in areas inaccessible to pets and children

also note: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002485.htm

and for a less alarming article, see: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef614.asp
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
moaboy

Or you could just stop eating all that cotton candy....
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
camp2canoe

Default pest control

I remember a cartoon in Playboy (I only read the articles, honest) back in my college days where a guy with a pest control company shirt is kneeling on a kitchen floor in front of battalions of ants arranged in perfect phalanxs with flag carriers and buglers explaining to the home owner, "Hell, lady - we don't kill 'em, we just control 'em!"